Friday, December 11, 2009

The 12 Days Before Gaza: #1

How did this all begin? It was a tiny seed and now the seed has grown into that huge tree. It's morphed into something not even similar to what it was when it began.

Months ago, my teachers told us they were going to Gaza and we were invited.

I have been invited to go to many places. I have said "no" many times. I don't like to fly for more than three hours. What was I thinking when I decided to go?

I definitely didn't know what I was getting into.

Going to Egypt and Gaza at Christmas time???

Doesn't win brownie points with the family. Doesn't help the busyness of the season to add trip planning, a gazillion conference calls, and calls to senators and representatives to the list of things to do.

And then there are those who express their fears about a trip like this. At first I was thinking,

"I don't need this!!! If you are afraid, be afraid, but don't share it with me. I need to go forth with confidence."

Now I have decided to interpret their doomsday concerns as meaning:

"I feel afraid when I think of going to that part of the world. I am a little afraid for you, because I care about you. I want to tell you to do what you can to be safe, but I already know that you are smart enough to do just that! So have fun!"

Through participating in the conference calls, I am humbled by the experience of so many of the people with whom I'll be traveling. MANY of them have worked extensively in the Middle East. Many have been to Gaza or the West Bank. (And they are still here to tell about it!) I will be traveling with seasoned Middle Eastern activists. I'm a part of the Interfaith group. I will be in the presence of a lot of wisdom. I want to soak it up!

I want to be changed by the experience. That is a loaded "want". Change can, at best, be fun. At worst, it can be debilitating.

But I can't afford a life unlived.





In other news...

Look at what my sister-in-law's family sent us today!



Our first holiday decoration for the year. And it's perfect.

Wishes of peace to you and all of the world.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Carol. Such an adventure lies before you. You will no doubt return with amazing blog posts. Or maybe you will post while there?

    Yes, the Christmas decoration is perfect. Make merry in all your preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family was so afraid, worried, maybe even angry a bit when I went for hajj. I think what it comes down to is that these journeys are very personal and no one else can take them with us. I pray you have a wonderful experience and come back safely to tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol--
    "I feel afraid when I think of going to that part of the world. I am a little afraid for you, because I care about you. I want to tell you to do what you can to be safe, but I already know that you are smart enough to do just that! So have fun!"

    YEAH! That's what I meant to say!

    I love you and admire you and wish you safe and enlightening travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey San,

    I will try to blog from Internet Cafe's when I can. I'm not taking a computer. This trip will be a two week backpacking trip in civilization.

    Tonight, I shifted to Merry Preparation Season.

    Merry Merry to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Otowi! I can only imagine your experience... Thank you for sharing it with me - both the family stuff here and the wonderful posts you have written about your hajj experience on your blog. You give me inspiration and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kat! If I could bring along a real live suitcase instead of my backpack, I'd bring you along for the trip (if you didn't mind folding up into a suitcase!).

    My in-laws are always amazing at coming up with "Peace-ful" gifts for me.

    Much peace to you this holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Liz... You're so sweet! You are NOT who I was writing about when I wrote this! Two amazing young people who have traveled through much of Europe on a long adventure both shivered in their boots at the prospects of me going to the Middle East. When the 20-something, adventurous ones are afraid... well, I'd be dishonest if I didn't admit it was a little unnerving.

    ReplyDelete