Sunday, March 21, 2010

Who I Am

My cousin recently sent me a song that reminded him of me. It was neat to see (hear?) how he perceives me. I had, just the day before, gone to the funeral of our neighbor. Our neighbor's family members had chosen to have a few songs played there that they thought would represent their loved one.

All of this got me to thinking about what songs would describe me. What songs would I want played at my funeral?

Below are three songs that demonstrate how I see myself. I think that I could add another hundred songs and still not feel complete, though. There are no Talking Heads songs here although they are definitely in my top ten groups. Their music cannot fail to put a smile on my face.

Well, without further ado, heeeeeeeeere's Carol!

From my youth (and I still haven't figured out what war is good for):




The video to the song below is a little cheesy. Sorry. I LOVE watching hawks and eagles. When I see a hawk soar overhead, not only do I hear this song in my head, but I feel like I, too, am flying free.




Thinking of Thomas with this song, although it's been one of my favorites since it first came out. I would sit on my bedroom floor and play it over and over again. When we don't like what's going on, we tend to like the fact that all things must pass. The true test of letting go is in how we accept that ALL things must pass. There is true freedom in celebrating that fact.




Dear Mr. CFP,
When I die, please play these songs at my memorial. And you know the poem they passed out at Phyllis' funeral? The one that said not to remember the mistakes, but only the perfection of the person after he/she dies? Well, forget about stuff like that. Have a great time laughing at all of the stupid things I did. Like leaving the house while beans were boiling on the stove and then coming back to a house full of toxic, black smoke. Like diving into relationships too quickly and too easily and then finding out that some people drain the life out of others, so needing to figure out a kind way of getting out.

Please enjoy my perfect imperfections as well as the things that I did well (if you can think of any). They are all a part of what made me Carol.

7 comments:

  1. We will have great fun at your memorial! :)
    How could we not when the music and the stories are so rich and full of life?

    ILU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what songs I'd pick. Off the top of my head I'd say John Lennon's "Instant Karma" as the closer, George's "My Sweet Lord" as the opener, and maybe Warren Zevon's "Keep Me In Your Heart" somewhere in the middle.

    I'll have to give this a little more thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael,

    Bummer that I'll miss all the fun! :-)

    ILU2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas,

    Thanks for sharing your songs! I almost chose "My Sweet Lord", too. "Keep Me in Your Heart" - that's sweet. If I wasn't already in tears at a memorial, that would push me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choices, Carol. As soon as I select a song that reminds me of you, I'll add another comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be interested in hearing what song reminds you of me, Nick! If a song comes to me that reminds me of you, I'll let you know. Problem is, you've posted a lot of songs on your blog and I know some of them are important to you, so I can cheat! :-)

    ReplyDelete