Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Undoing


I landed in Denver yesterday after the most sweetly relaxing flight I've ever known. For one who "never can sleep on a plane", sleep silently and softly moved in without my ever knowing it. With iPod earphones in ears and a beautiful woman's voice explaining how to look at the world differently floating through my head, I somehow slipped into that completely different world. Or, I should say, no world at all.

First, I was taking off from Seattle, completely absorbed in the complex flavors of the "Cherry Pie" Lara Bar I had found in my bag, then I was landing at the Denver airport, amazed at the snow-covered mountains which are so beautiful from that distance and which I'm not able to see from the close proximity of my home.

How like life, eh? We can't really see the beauty when we are too close to a situation - or too close to the mountains or to other people. We have to step back, sometimes by waiting for a period of time, sometimes by travel to a new environment, and often just by letting go of preconceived ideas and seeing the situation or mountains or your significant other through new eyes.

I have traveled for these classes six times over three years. Throughout these years, I have been swimming in the ocean of study by reading many writers and through phone conversations with classmates and teachers. Each time we have met, I have sat in class, the silent woman. I haven't yet known of anything that I needed to say, nor how to say it should something come to mind. Yet I sat there, staying totally present to what was going on around me and especially to what was going on within me.

So many changes have occurred. Like the silent fog moving in, like the sleep that I never knew was coming until it left, transformation has been slipping through this life, unannounced and unobtrusively.

Not going to say much more about all of this today. Maybe it will unwind into more words over time.

I know people who unpack as soon as they arrive home. Not me. I leave the suitcase for the next day. Unpacking so soon seems like a harsh landing. Some people dive straight into a cold pool. I walk slowly into the pool, allowing my body to adjust, one part at a time. I guess I'm a slow transformer.

Today is the day for unpacking and washing and stepping slowly into the cool pool I call my life in the Denver 'burbs.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Carol! It sounds as if you've had another grand experience at Whidbey Island. Blessings to you! (Look for an email late this evening).

    P.S. ~ Alex is outside playing with the big yellow cat who (I think) is his best friend. We both send greeting to Buddha Woofie Doggie, whom we assume is overjoyed to have his mommy home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nick. All was very beautiful there.

    Mr. Buddha was his usual coy self when he and Mr. CFP picked me up at the airport. He slipped right back into his morning routine today - asking for his morning massage. I am living my purpose - here to serve a cute and funny dog.

    I'm glad that Alex has a best friend to play with. I hope that all is well with you.

    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also like to silently absorb in learning situations. i'm usually the silent one too. sounds like a wonderful trip. should you decide to blog about it, i will certainly enjoy reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foam,

    It's nice to know that there are others out there who are also quiet in classes. There certainly weren't many like me in the course that I've been taking.

    I have a feeling that little bits of my Whidbey classes will find their way onto my blog over time.

    ReplyDelete