And what's REALLY head-itchin' is the fact that us humans can fly people all the way to the moon and back,
but we still can't figure out how to get along orhow to plug up a problem once we've made it.
So I was readin' some Alan Watts - a man that I just adore. I wish that I could have met the man before he had to go and die.

But anyway, I was readin' and thinkin' and I came to the not-new conclusion that we need to step back for a minute and look at the bigger picture here.
Instead of always assumin' that things will always turn out because we are the chosen ones or instead of reactin' off of the top of our numb skulls, we ought to take some time out to ponder before we act. And I mean before we go diggin' holes in places we oughtent to be diggin' and before we go bombin' people we oughtent to be bombin', we need to, as the native people of this land say, think about the 7th generation before we act. We can't, as Mr. Einstein said, "...solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
We gotta start thinkin' outside the box. Maybe we need to start engagin’ our whole beings instead of just our pea brains. Because I know that my brain may think that it wants to be comfortable and to be able to travel to every corner of the earth and to have the best clothes and the most creature comforts possible. But the rest of me knows that I love my children and all livin' things and I would be willin’ to have less in order to be certain that the rest of life doesn't suffer.
So when we're thinkin’ of diggin' deep into the recesses of this planet, maybe we might want to first stop and consider jest what might happen if our plans go awry. And when we're thinkin' about jumpin' on other people's ships or occupyin' other people's countries, we might wanta first stop and think about the fact that them peoples got family and dreams jest like we do, so maybe we should set down with a cuppa tea and try to talk things out before we start to think of hurtin' someone.
Jest sayin’…
Thought the title was going to refer to the James Taylor song! (As we have had a little run of song titles).
ReplyDeleteSitting down with a cuppa and talking things out seems a good way to go.
Why can't we be satisified with the little thing and what we have already?
I could hardly bear to watch the TV news today .... the national news was covering again and again the massacre in Cumbria and the local news told of more dead military brought home from Afghanistan.
Apologies if this makes no sense - have a headache today just thinking about the WASTE.
That should have read little "things"
ReplyDeleteExcellent post. And I luved how you wrote it!
ReplyDeleteDancing,
ReplyDeleteI could have included some JT words -
And recognize that there are ties between us
All men and women
Living on the Earth
Ties of hope and love
Sister and brotherhood
That we are bound together
Yeah, why can't we be happy with just "enough"? I wonder where the answer to that is waiting for us.
Sorry about the tragedy in Cumbria and sorry about your headache. I hope you feel better real soon!
In our desire to see the world become
A place in which our children
Can grow free and strong
We are bound together
By the task that stands before us
And the road that lies ahead
Thanks, G.G.!
ReplyDeleteOh! I had thought that I had commented on thos most excellent post, Carol, especially since it was the wrtings of Alan Watts that introduced me to Buddhism.
ReplyDeleteYpe, we gotta start thinking outside our paradigms -- boxes -- especially since some many of them are built around philosophies of making profits.
In my mind I heard this in Ruth Gordon's voice. :) I liked this one!
ReplyDeleteNick,
ReplyDeleteWatts is a true joy to read. A local, independent radio station plays tapes of him speaking and it used to be easy for me to listen at the time he was being aired. I want to change my now unscheduled schedule so that I can start hearing him again.
It seems humankind as a whole doesn't change much unless something kind of pushes us to. I keep wondering which event will be the one to move us. Still waiting...
Thanks Thomas. I can't remember Ruth Gordon's voice. I'll have to dig up a youtube of her speaking.
ReplyDelete