Friends.
Oh, what a night!
Mr. Carol For Peace and I spent the evening with ghosts from the past.
I graduated from high school almost a gazillion years ago. I haven't been to a reunion in a long time and I don't really have any friends left from high school, even though I moved back to Colorado 20 years ago.
In high school, I was so SHY... Oh my. I can't tell you how SHY I was. Now I'm shy. Then I was SHY. And I came from a strict family where I wasn't allowed to do things that most high school kids do. AND I always felt like I was "less than" most of my classmates. An invisible, SHY, young thing.
But growing up and Facebook are both amazing healers.
Through Facebook, I was invited to join a bunch of classmates at a winery where we celebrated life. One classmate has recovered from a liver/kidney transplant and another has had a successful surgery to minimize his Parkinson's symptoms. How fitting that we should be celebrating their lives. It's actually pretty nice to go to a Celebration of Life when the person you're celebrating is still alive!
And guess what!?! People remembered me! I belonged! It was so much fun!
We talked about so-and-so and him and her, where is she now, what is he doing?
We caught up with each other as if we were long-lost family.
Did I tell you it was wonderful? It was wonderful.
Friends come and go. Sometimes we grieve the loss, sometimes we're relieved.
Sometimes friends come back and we may discover that we are not who we thought we were.
That sounds like a wonderful evening. Better to celebrate life with those whose lives we are celebrating, eh? Great reminder.
ReplyDeleteCarol - I just LOVE your current header photo... is this in your garden or that rather bigger one in Denver?
ReplyDeleteGlad that you were able to meet up with your school friends and have such a great time. When I got back from holiday I had in the post a book written about my old school which celebrates its centenary this year ... hope to post about it soon when I catch up!
G.G.,
ReplyDeleteIt was beyond fun. And today I got to celebrate the life of someone who has left this life. What a world!
Dancing,
ReplyDeleteThanks. This is a photo of the chives in our garden.
So you've been gone! I was wonderin'... I look forward to reading about your century old school!
May I say "wonderful" back to you, Carol? It sounds as if you have a really fun time.
ReplyDeleteOf course you were "shy," You're an introvert, and all us introverts seem shy. Well, add a bit of insecurity to our introversion and I suppose were are shy, but I have refused to admit that I am even though I was.
THe header is (again) fabulous! It has brightened my evening on this stormy day.
Aha! I thought your banner photo looked like chives! Mine look like too right now. I'm sorry to hear about the person tho left this life, though. I got a phone call like that on Friday . . .
ReplyDeleteThanks Nick!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that the photo was a bright spot in your stormy day.
G.G.,
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your loss...