Saturday, May 29, 2010

Happy 90th, Dad!

During this Memorial Day weekend, my dad, a WWII veteran, celebrates his 90th birthday. My dad and his four brothers all served in World War II and they are all still alive today. The oldest is 92.

When I was a kid, I thought my dad knew everything. I remember when he used to come tell me goodnight after I had snuggled into bed. Before he got to my room, I would think up at least one question to ask him because I knew that would keep him with me longer. I asked questions about how we see color, about lightening, and about the universe. More than having an interest in the answers, I wanted my dad to spend time with me. I'm sure I asked "Why?" or "How?" at least ten times just to keep him sitting on the side of my bed.

I don't remember at what point my dad quit knowing everything. He was always the one I would call when something needed fixing - I knew that, no matter what, he was the best at such things. But when it came to the big questions of life, for the longest time, I got the idea that somehow I surpassed him in wisdom.

Now all of my dad's "fix-it" skills and knowledge are stored away somewhere where no one can find them. Gone are all of the smart and wise answers he used to give me as he sat in the dark on the side of my bed. But now, more than ever, I realize that my dad is the very best dad a woman like me could have. Through his beautiful example, I am learning about life lived in pure kindness, effortless patience, and endless gratitude. How lucky am I to be able to learn from the best of 'em?

Happy Birthday, sweet Dad!

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Carol. Sadly I lost my Dad when he was 55. He had been extremely clever, could build cars, freezers and record players and tinkered with circuit boards but after his stroke he became someone else who couldn't do the simplest things.

    How wonderful that you have had your Dad for so long even though his fix-it skills are now stored away. I think he must be VERY proud of you.

    Please wish him a belated Happy Birthday. Memorial Day again already? We were in Utah for it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the amazing post and happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancing,

    I didn't know that your dad died at 55. I bet you have missed him over the years - as a "fixer of things", a dad, and a grandparent to your son and daughter.

    Thank you for the birthday wishes for my dad. I'll pass them on.

    I think that it seems like a VERY
    long time since you were here... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a happy birthday 90th to my always smiling Uncle John. As a kid I always got excited when the TV shows on channel 12 went off the air momentarily because they often showed an ad for his radio and TV repair business in Hutch (instead of a test pattern).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry,

    It's funny that I don't remember seeing my dad's ad on television. I do remember it in the little Sunday Hutchinson News insert which had the week's TV show schedule.

    It won't be too long before your dad visits this big birthday milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful post!
    happy birthday to your daddy!
    i can tell you love him dearly.
    my dad was also a WWII vet.
    i did loose him when i was 7.
    but i remember being a daddy's girl
    and knowing that he knew everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post, Carol Happy Birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Foam!

    I'm sorry to hear that your dad died when you were young. It sounds like you have good memories of him - there's not much that's sweeter than being "daddy's girl".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated greetings to your dad. Carol this was a beautiful peice which I lovd reading! Dads are worth their weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated happy birthday to your dad, Carol. You wrote well of him. I wish I could meet him. Blessings to all of you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Daffy!

    I know that you know about great dads. I'd love to spend a day with your dad and his cute dog. It would be even better if you could join us, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick,

    Thank you! I wish that you could meet him, too. You two would like each other.

    Hugs to you and Mr. Alex.

    ReplyDelete