Last night we joined the vigil that occurs once a month at the local I.C.E detention center. Well over 100 of us gathered to protest at the street. Update: the vigil is in the Denver Post this morning - they said there were 215 people!

We then heard poetry and witnessed a performance by the Romero Troupe where they sent the message that we need to wake up - the media are lulling us to sleep by their messages and we are allowing our fellow humans to be diminished because of that (thus, we are diminished).

We encircled, to the degree that we could, the fenced-in, razor-wired building where human beings are warehoused.

I will never forget how haunting it was to see the faces of the men as they looked at us from out of this cage of a setting. So close. Yet we couldn't make any contact other than our chanting and waving. These people are no danger to any of us and yet, they are locked up as though they are mass murderers.

Last night it was hard for me to get the scenes from the evening out of my head. I haven't been touched to my core like this in a very long time. Anger, sadness, compassion, confusion.
There is so much beauty in this world and yet I sometimes find it really hard to admit that I am a part of this human race...
P.S. I have received emails from people who are afraid that the "illegal aliens" (don't get me goin'...) are stealing our social security and harming us in so many other ways. If you are one who believes this, but you would like to learn about the facts, please contact me via my contact form here: http://www.carolforpeace.com/contact.html
P.S. again. These photos were taken by Mr. CFP.

I thought that most of the US is made up of people who have descended from immigrants. At one stage, swathes of people came through Ellis Island, for example.
ReplyDeleteI am descended from immigrants who came to the UK from Prussia in the mid 19th century. Large numbers of people have immigrated to the UK and also emigrated. It seems to be the natural flow of things.
But what do I know?
You know a lot, Dancing. I guess we have a "My ancestors came in through the door so now the door needs to be shut, keeping out everyone else" attitude around here.
ReplyDeleteI just don't get it...
It is very daunting to stand outside a prison and look in to those who can't get out. If being an illegal alien is the only issue, then we are not treating them any better than the places from which they escaped. I think about all the places in the world people have had to leave because of inhumane treatment. And we put them in jail - because they want to . . . work?
ReplyDeleteMz. Carol, MY hoomin beans sayz to tellz you dis be bery, bery, bery goodz postie & dat u needz to lookz in ur emailz fir 2 songies he be sendingz to u. OK?
ReplyDeleteG.G.,
ReplyDeleteYou are right. It's amazing the power of the walls and fences and razor wire. Makes the distance feel like miles.
I think about what anyone of us would do in the same situation as those in the detention center and I have a feeling we would all cross any border if it meant we could feed our families.
Thank you, Alex.
ReplyDeleteI'm awaitin' the songs with eager anticipation!
Kitty snuffles to you.
immigration
ReplyDeletetricky stuff
more nice pics
/t.
you know ..
ReplyDeletea year ago two of my favorite students were suddenly gone.
they were deported along with their families. i had no idea of their status. they were so well behaved and some of my most talented students. i still miss them.
/t.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visitin'!
It IS tricky.
I just have attachments to the idea that my country should treat people humanely - no matter what the situation.
Maybe I'm too much of a dreamer...
foam,
ReplyDeleteThat's so sad. :-(
I was going to say that this breaking up of family stuff bothers me most because of the children, but then, as a mom, I know it's no less painful for the parents.
carol,
ReplyDeletei'm in canada,
and reluctant to
get involved in your
internal affairs, but do
share your sentiments, dreamer
/t.
/t.
ReplyDeleteI am ignorant regarding how Canada handles immigration, other than knowing that Vietnam vets could go there much more easily during and after the Vietnam war than they can now. Do you find Canada to be as racist as I perceive our country to be?
carol,
ReplyDeleteyou're asking me
to not only be involved,
but to wade in up to my eyebrows!
ok
imo, my personal perception is that canada is not as xenophobic as usa, and not quite as overtly bigoted as SOME yanks seem to be, but we have plenty here to work on -- plenty of shame to deal with, too
i generally try to avoid specific political and social issues, carol, as these are more often than not a point of division
i'm a weenie :)
/t.
/t.
ReplyDeleteI hope your eyeballs are okay after your deep wading.
Thanks for your response. I would like to live in various countries to see the world through different eyes. I doubt that any country lacks areas of blindness and injustices.