Green doesn't last long here in this semi-arid land, but almost non-stop rains and snows have turned everything a lush emerald. Ahhhhhh, take it in while it's here...
Along the way,
... a black-crowned night heron. They usually feed at night, but if there are young to be fed, they can be found hunting during the day. I wonder where this guy's family lives.
At our usual watering hole, I looked up to find a mother robin in her nest. I think she's still sitting on eggs - I heard no cheeping.But I did hear a couple of meadowlarks. Their song is my favorite.
Pure joy.
(Photos by Mr. CFP)
Sounds like a great day. thanks for the link, too!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear that you took a hike! And I'm gratefull for your wonderful photography and your ability to locate nests with eggs and fleglings!
ReplyDeleteG.G.,
ReplyDeleteIt's been a stunningly beautiful day. I hope that you have had a great one, also.
Nick,
ReplyDeleteMr. CFP took these photos. I don't have a pocket-sized camera, so if I don't leave the house with the intention of lugging a load of camera, I miss photo ops.
But I do have a way of finding birds!
i love the sound of the meadowlark.
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely hike! how lucky to have spotted those birds.
That night heron is beautiful. Meadowlark is probably my favorite song, too. I remember seeking them out and listening to them while at my brother's baseball games when I was a kid.
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of larks but I think ours may be slightly different to yours.
ReplyDeleteThose meadowlarks do sound like angels.
ReplyDeleteWe've had next to no rain of late, but thanks to our very snowy, long winter, I've noticed our greenbelt has actually turned from tan to light green about two months earlier than usual. Sweet.
You have way of finding wonderful birds, Carol.
ReplyDelete