Thursday, December 23, 2010

What I Love About This Time of Year

I love ice.

I love perfectly smooth ice

and artful ice.





I remember a time when I was hiking next to a pond and the ice started singing.  I'm not kidding.  It sounded like angels were humming all around me.  (You may say that it was all in my head, but I had a hiking buddy who heard it, too!)

I am not a cold weather type of person, but I have to say that I love this time of year (don't ask me about January and February).  

I love that people come together, they think about each other more, and sometimes they out-do themselves with kindness and giving.

I love the sounds of bells and laughter and music.


My favorite Christmas song is O Holy Night.


This little girl does a beautiful job of singing it (and I like her little girl faces and moves).





What do you love about this time of year?

What is your favorite Christmas song?

6 comments:

  1. My favorite Christmas song is "Silent Night." It's one of those songs that can be sung a hundred different ways by a hundred different singers, and every one of them will be wonderful.

    My favorite part of this time of year is the night sky; the sun and the moon never shine brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous ice photos - where were they taken? The canal here is frozen over and sometimes it sings too!

    My favourite carol is Silent Night sung in German.

    I also love The Lamb by John Tavener - a hauntingly beautiful piece which,to me, has a feeling of medieval England about it to me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyBp9hrzDQE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops one too many "to me's" in my comment!

    You've inspired me to do a little blogpost before breakfast! Now that IS something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

    The little girl has done some amazing singing: check this one out -
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/8575708/23094196

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Zdravas Maria. It's the Ave Maria, but I learned it in Czech even before I learned the Latin or English version. Here's link to Nace Junkar singing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd3RxvbFgJI

    I'm not Czech, but when I was a child in Smalltownville, the church choir would sing it and the old folks would try to sniffle their tears away - their link to the 'Old Country' strongly evident.

    They didn't even sing it this year. I miss it. But the younger generation doesn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas,

    Yes, the night sky this time of year. Stunning!

    Dancing,

    The ice photo was taken at a local creek. I'm glad that you know what I'm talking about when I speak of the singing ice!

    Otowi,

    That little girl has a VOICE! I hope her agent doesn't over-popularize her.

    G.G., Thanks for the YouTube. Nice!

    ReplyDelete