Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On Giving (and Receiving)

I've been taking a Practice of Kindness class on-line and it is a wonderful experience.  

The first week, we were to do something kind for ourselves. I found that I do that.  A LOT.  But I don't normally completely receive my own kindness.  I don't FEEL it, take it in.  So the gift I gave myself was to really take in the kindnesses I do for myself.  In fact, I became more aware of the kindness of others and the kindness of Life.

I give myself an A+ for Week One.

For the second week, we were assigned the task of thinking of people who have been kind to us and we were to do something kind for them.  I had someone in mind.  I wanted to send him a card made with one of my photos.  I found that I am doing so many kind acts for my parents that I had no energy left to get the right photo printed, write the note, and get it sent.

I flunked Week Two.

Except I didn't, because I do kindnesses every day.

Just not the one that I had intended to do...

We are now in Week Three.  I can't remember the assignment.  I'm tired.  Oh, yeah.  We are to do an act of kindness for a good friend.  Still working on that.

This afternoon, I will be receiving a wonderful gift of kindness from one of my massage therapist friends.  She offered me a free massage because she knows that I am doing so much right now.  When she offered it, the floodgates opened up and I bawled like a baby.  Her thoughtfulness was so touching and beautiful.

I just picked some vegetables from my garden for her (hoping that she likes such things).




Now, as an act of kindness for myself, I'll quit grading myself in this class!



My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
Dalai Lama


One of my favorite quotes:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - (Plato?)

13 comments:

  1. I like that comment by Plato (?) and will try to remember it.

    I hope you'll enjoy your massage as much as I am sure your friend will enjoy the vegetables from your garden. (Glad it's not a yard anymore!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dancing...

    Around here, the "garden" is where the veggies or flowers grow. All the rest of the land around the house is still a "yard".

    Then again, the garden is in my yard.

    (Aren't you glad you live where the language is a little more sane?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol. I love you. Your blog is an oasis in this world. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English/American differences are interesting I think! A yard here would just be a small enclosed area, cemented or paved over.

    You have yard sales but I bet you don't have car boot sales!

    (This discussion will run and run I am sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a class I would like, Carol. I'm that you did a kindness for yourself -- you do so many kindnesses for others. I am you are doing a daily kindness for yourself of getting enough rest; one can only burn the candle at both ends for a short time.

    Blessings, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B.E.,

    I love you, too! Thanks for all you do and for stopping by on this beautiful autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dancing,

    You guys have sales out of your car trunks? You must not have a lot of stuff to get rid of!

    I think that I need to go spend some time in your cute, little house out back so that I can learn more proper English.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SSN,

    Thank you. I am able to get a nice amount of rest. It's amazing, though, how much easier it is to work 8 hours at a job as opposed to 2 - 4 hours taking care of one's parents. So much more emotional stuff in this job...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't fail week two. I'm glad you decided that. But I'm not so sure about that basket of veggies from the garden. I didn't see any of those orgasmic peas you talked about earlier. Is it really kindness if you don't share them, too????? ;-) You are just GR8!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. G.G.,

    The orgasmic peas have been gone quite awhile. They are veggies that only like the early, cool, spring days.

    My friend will just have to make do with my nearly-orgasmic Swiss chard, I guess. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol: I knew the peas would be gone, but for some reason, I just snorted out laughter when I saw your basket of veggies. It's a beautiful photo and the colors were gorgeous, but it just made me think of your earlier post about the peas. Had to give you a hard time.
    The chard works too, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. G.G.,

    I'll have to ask her if the chard met the qualifications for orgasmic! Or maybe I don't want to know... ;-)

    Want me to send you some orgasmic peas next year???

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a widow - so should that be a yes or no? I almost added that information earlier, but I was snorting laughter in the office before I could type it.

    ReplyDelete