This is about death.
And it's not morbid.
It's about being alive in this amazing moment.
RIGHT NOW!
Right now, I see the sun rising behind a three-story maple tree.
I hear the ti ti ti of Buddha's nails on the hardwood floor.
I feel the cool September air on my bare feet.
What do you see, hear and feel right now in this moment?
My dentist, who is younger than me
and who I love as a person
even more than as a great dentist
has lived through two kidney transplants
and the return of cancer after cancer
among other hard things.
He will no longer agree to more chemo.
He may not be here to do my 2011 check-up
But he may.
We never know such things ahead of time.
Last night
I watched a video
showing the smiling faces
of high school seniors
circa 1970,
students two years older than me
who are no longer alive.
They didn't make it to their 40th high school reunion.
I looked at those 19 faces, frozen as 17- and 18-year-olds,
faces of those who thought that they would live to be old,
and realized that I don't know if I will still be here
for my 40th class reunion.
We never know such things ahead of time.
Somehow,
all of this just makes this moment,
this moment where the sun shines so brilliantly orange,
and Buddha's ti ti ti sound has dropped into silence,
and my feet are cool enough to ask for socks...
it makes this moment so intensely whole,
so complete
and satisfying
and precious beyond words.
I like this post a lot.
ReplyDeleteMe too - beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Thomas.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ms. Dancing.
And Mr. Buddha is 14 years old, a wonderful dog/companion, and a great reminder of mortality, sped up for us to really "get it" in those many moments where we aren't as aware and lucid as you can be with your blog posts and writings. Thank you for the reminder, Mr. Buddha and Mrs. Carol.
ReplyDelete-Mr. CFP
Mr. CFP,
ReplyDeleteThe reminders... they seem to be everywhere! In fact, we are thr reminders for young'uns.
Oh my...
Carol: What a great post! As I read it, All I could hear in the silence was the tinking of my clock. It seemed to tick to the rhythm of Buddah's ti ti ti. It was such a peaceful post! But now - I do know what to do about cold feet . . . . . hand knit socks, of course! And hello to Mr. CFP!!!! What a sweet, sweet post and accompanying comments.
ReplyDeleteso peaceful. i love to listen to the peaceful moments too.
ReplyDelete