Friday, September 24, 2010

The More They Stay The Same


Two years and two days ago, Buddha and I hiked for 6 hours on one of our favorite trails, Hell's Hole.  We walked among the fall aspen until we were full and satisfied.

Last year about this time, Mr. CfP and I took my parents on a drive to Hell's Hole so that they could see the shimmering yellows on the drive.

Now...

Buddha can no longer hike.  He can only do short, slow walks at the nearby park. 

My dad wouldn't enjoy riding for the two hours it would take to get to Hell's Hole and back.



I'm amazed at how much can change in a very short time.


Then again, as evident by the falling yellow aspen leaves, everything is changing all of the time.

****

I was a little sad today as Mr. CfP and I headed out to Hell's Hole without my favorite hiking buddy, Mr. Buddha (sorry, Mr. CfP; you're my #2 hiking buddy).


But I got filled up by taking in all of the stunning beauty.


And Buddha got extra lovin' when we got back.



Waterfalls!




Icicles!




Mushrooms!



Flowers!



Leaf-filled ponds!


Lately, I'm feeling a more profound need to soothe my soul.  Like a sponge, I find myself absorbing all of the goody out of anything that reeks of renewal:  things like lemon colored aspen leaves, the feel of cool mountain air, the blue Colorado skies, and the nuzzles of a Buddha dog who is happy to have me home.

I'm a lucky kind of woman.

16 comments:

  1. Stunning photos Carol - love the one of the icicles and the funghi.

    Yes all is changing as it always did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely photos. this post leaves me with a bit of nostalgia. i'm still enjoying the walks with my dog although at almost 10 she is not young anymore. my mother passed on this year. she declined due to dementia. my walks and outings with her are now just dear memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dancing.

    It seems that I go along with the changes of the seasons easier than those that are taking place within my family...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foam,

    Thank you.

    I remember that I met you (well, I met your blog) right after your mom had passed. Ah, it hasn't been that long. I bet you miss her. If you were here, I would want to sit with you and a cup of tea (or a bottle of wine) so I could listen to your memories.

    Dog walks are the best! Maybe sometime you'll post a photo of your canine buddy? (Maybe you already have and I missed it?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. I am sure Buddha didn't mind missing the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I really like those larger-sized photos .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Otowi,

    Thank you.

    Buddha always gets excited when he knows that we are preparing for a hike and he acts very sad when we tell him "Sorry..." Still, he is the Buddha of forgiveness and he doesn't hold on to his sadness and disappointment for long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol! This is Indigo. I started a new blog since I basically ran out of things to say concerning dissociative disorders. My new blog is nature-centric and will have pagan spirituality topics.

    butterflymage.blogspot.com

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I think the photos were just stunning! I looked at them last week, but never got a chance to add a comment. No worries! It gave me an excuse to come back and have a second look. Wow icicles already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Indigo!

    Good to hear from you!

    I'll check out your new blog in a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey G.G.,

    Thanks!

    It has been unusually warm here this year, but the cold water coming down the mountain created air temps right there that were conducive to icicles. Pretty darn fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol,
    I came back for another peek at your pix. They are really beautiful! And the last line in your post? I know you wouldn't change it, but I can. You might be a lucky kind of woman, but I think you are a lucky, kind woman, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow really beautiful photos. And sorry to hear about your Buddha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. G.G.,

    Funny. I started a post about kindness last night. I don't know if I will finish it today - or ever - or not.

    Thank you for your sweet words. I take them to heart, since they come from a very kind woman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you and thank you, Common Man!

    ReplyDelete