"I'm doing much better, now that you are here!"
Is that not THE SWEETEST???
My dad comes from a long line of people who have not had the reputation of being demonstrative of their feelings. I don't remember him ever saying anything so lovely to me. I'm guessing that the dementia that has invaded his mind might be a contributor to opening my dad up so that his sweet words could come out.
Many people fear dementia or have other negative feelings toward it. I'm not going to say that I completely like it, but I also can't say that it is a problem for me. Truthfully, I often enjoy people with dementia much more than those who have no diagnosis to explain their strange ways!
With my dad and I, there are no longer stories of the past; no unfinished business. He is one of the few people in my life who lives right here, right now. And since this moment is all we truly have, I wonder why people think that those with dementia have a problem while those who are constantly living in the non-existent past or future are considered mentally healthy.
So far, my dad knows who I am. He knows my name. When he no longer does, I won't have a problem with that. I am not my name. As I get his food for him or help him get into bed for his nap, I can be anyone or no one. All that matters is the love.
The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly. - Buddha
I have a friend whose mother has dementia, and after visiting her in the nursing home once her mother turned to her and said, "I know I should remember you, and I'm sorry that I don't, but I want you to know that I've had a lovely time today and I'm very glad that we know each other."
ReplyDeleteI like that anecdote. :)
That's beautiful, Thomas.
ReplyDeleteOh Carol, That's so touching! (and so is Thomas's comment, as well.)
ReplyDeleteYou both summed it up so well. It gave me a lump in my throat - much the same for me with my dad.
What a sweet, sweet thing your dad said to you. Hold on to that!
Lovely, Carol. For the most part, I have found that people suffering from dementia are gentle and quite peaceful -- almost childlike. Mt love and blessings to you, your dad, and your mom. And, of course, Buddha dog and Michael.
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful xx
ReplyDelete