"I made this film to satisfy my own curiosity about what was happening in the Gaza Strip since I found that it was very difficult to find information in the mainstream media and get a detailed look at what was going on, what people there were like, what they were thinking about." - James Longley, speaking about his film, Gaza Strip.
Like Longley, I am going to Gaza to see with my own eyes what life is like for the people there. I made my decision to travel there at the end of this year before I saw Longley's film. After watching it a couple of nights ago, I feel anger, fear, and a certain sadness. Gaza must be in worse shape than I had imagined.
I will be traveling with my teachers and many others at the end of the year. So far in my life, I have only been out of the continental U.S. while traveling to Mexico, Canada, and the Bahamas, so this is BIG for me!
I will write more about this as time goes on. In the meantime, there is much to do with the holidays, work and travel preparation.
The Gaza Strip is about 25 miles long and between 4 and 7.5 miles wide (139 square miles). That land holds 1.5 million Palestinians. 80% of the people there are living below the poverty line.
You can read Time Magazine's article, "In the Tunnels: Gaza's Underground Economy here.
Watch the video, The Tunnel Smugglers of the Gaza Strip here.
You are in my prayers, Carol, along with all who will go on the trip, and, of course, all of the people living in Gaza.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Nick!
ReplyDeleteDat be a bery nice birdie u hab atz da topz ob ur bloggie. OK?
ReplyDeleteI comez by to sayz tank u fir sayingz dat I be hand-sum. OK?
Thanks, Alex. That kind of birdie is too large for a kitty kat to catch.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your handsome-ness... well, I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Scratches behind the ears to you!
A big trip indeed. Will be thinking about you lots. Do keep us informed of all your plans.
ReplyDeleteIncidentally, what happened to the lovely photo of the lake? I was going to show Mr Dancing and it had gone!