Saturday, August 15, 2009

Here I Go A-wandering & Wondering

We watched the movie, Flow, the other night. It's about water. It's about the fact that we don't think that water is a human right, but instead it is seen by corporations as a resource for their profits.

We got our insurance payment for what the adjuster decided we deserve for the damage done to our house in the recent hail storm. Insurance companies are a challenge for me. From years of dealing with them in my massage practice and from this experience, I have absolutely no respect for them. We sure do get to play some silly games.

Yesterday, I felt so in love (I do today, too). Even the tree outside my window that looks all haggard from a night of hail beating was radiant to me. I felt the free, spaciousness of being in the moment and knowing it's all perfect. Then I called a neighbor and then a friend... The phone calls ended up being all about them and problems that I have heard about for years. Come on! Lighten up, guys! There's a beautiful tree outside your window!

This diet that is even more limiting than my usual limited diet is not bad at all. I am so amazed. For about 25 years of my life, I was a committed chocoholic. I haven't had chocolate for over a year and I don't miss it at all. I eat no sugar and I don't even think about it. I sit at a restaurant with Mr. Carol For Peace and our friends while they all eat fake ice cream and chocolate and apple crisp and I can barely make myself believe that it's food. The lack of tomatoes in our house is not even an issue. Some of us on this planet have so many choices of food that, even cutting out a lot of stuff, there is still so much available.

It's Saturday and we women will be out in our black for another day of vigiling. We are Women in Black (It says so on our banner). We wear black as a sign of mourning for the deaths done by war and other types of violence. Last week, a young man had a fun time yelling at us for the color of our clothes. He said that if we are for peace, we shouldn't be wearing black; what are we doing, going to a funeral? He wanted to know who organized the group, who called and told everyone to wear the same thing? There are always really nice people who acknowledge us. Then there are those who communicate their feelings in obscene ways. At least this guy was somewhat entertaining. Somewhat...

A couple of weeks ago,the people of a nearby Mexican restaurant brought us big cups of ice water, two huge bags of chips and some containers of salsa. Last week, we decided to have a Women in Black lunch at that restaurant. Before we left, the waitress stocked us up with gigantic take-out cups of ice water, more chips and more salsa, just in case we got hungry while standing. Is that not one of the sweetest things?

So many stories and adventures.

And I wonder... In this wild and crazy life, how can anyone ever say that they are bored?


12 comments:

  1. Indigo Incarnates

    I have thought for years that basic human services should NOT be for-profit industries. Water, heat, electricity, and health care should be non-profit, "break-even" industries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indigo, I agree. In a perfect world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat,

    I'm out of town and my connection is limited. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've largely restricted my soda pop intake since Flow. Loved this post--greetings to the Women in Black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had low pressure on our water main a week or so ago due to a burst water main. We take for granted the fact that we have access to fresh water.

    In the Fairtrade cafe I am part of, we supply fresh tap water (NOT bottled due to the unnecessary use of plastic) and suggest that, if the customer wants to, then they can donate to the charity WaterAid.

    from Dancing on a Blade of Grass

    So far our customers have donated enought to supply a water pump to a village without the means to provide one of their own.

    This post has reminded me I have another cheque to send them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally WaterAid is a UK based charity

    http://www.wateraid.org/uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Some of us on this planet have so many choices of food that, even cutting out a lot of stuff, there is still so much available"- Loved that, and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. B.E.,

    I will give your greetings to the other Women in Black members when I get home. I've been in Glacier National Park for the last week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dancing,

    That is beautiful! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Novice,

    Thanks for visiting and for the comment. I will check out your blog when I get back home in a couple of days - my internet time here in this beautiful part of our country (I'm on vacation in Glacier National Park) is limited.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carol,
    You haeva beautiful blog, very soothing to the eye:) All the very best to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, New Beginning - and thank you for visiting. I'm just catching up on things after coming home from vacation. I'll be visiting your place soon.

    ReplyDelete