Saturday, November 19, 2011
Wilderness Quest 2011 - Part 6
Just as I was dozing off for the night, I heard it.
The sound was distinct and I instantly recognized it. I don't know why I recognized it - I can't name a time when I had heard that sound before. But I had no doubt about what it was.
I quickly turned on my headlamp and rolled over to look.
He was gone. It was as though he vaporized.
But I had evidence.
Like a madwoman, I hid the aim of his desire. I threw it into my day pack, and then threw that into my backpack. He would have to be pretty darn motivated to work that hard!
After I had made my statement, "Don't mess with my stuff!" I waited, barely breathing, headlamp at the ready. Would he come back? I wanted to see the little varmint.
Thoughts came: What was I thinking - or not thinking - when I left that container here on the ground next to me? I could just throw its contents out into the night somewhere and let the little fella have at them. The container only held an apple core and small remnants sweet potato.
But visions of hordes of hungry mice-like 4-leggeds greedily converging so close to my space in order to feast nixed that idea.
It wasn't long before sleep overcame me. I guess that I am no match for scorpions or tiny-toothed creatures.
We had always carefully stowed away all food at base camp so that no critters would get to the food, but having never seen any moochers in all my times in the desert, I never believed they really existed.
Then I saw his toothmarks. Now I'm a believer. Yeah yeah yeah yeah...
Previous Wilderness Quest Posts: 1 2 3 4 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was enjoying your trip til the creature of the night . . . I don't think sleep would have overcome me after that. You're a brave woman!
ReplyDeleteAh, G.G., if I were a more delicious person, I would have been worried, but I knew I was safe! :-)
ReplyDeleteNever thought of that! :-)
ReplyDelete