Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Midwifing My Dad

Yesterday, the voice said, "Carol, go sit with your dad tomorrow.  Go before your mom gets there."

I listened and this morning, I went.  I sat and breathed with Dad.  He was resting, but his breath was labored.  We breathed together: 

Opening, letting go of attachments - to this body and to identification.  Letting go of the identification of being a dad, a husband, someone who "does". 

Bringing in open-ness, light, freedom

Opening, letting go of all attachments, all pain

Bringing in peace and ease, going to be with mother and father and brothers who have gone before.

Over time, his breath softened, became easier.  Sometimes I could barely tell he was breathing. 

And as I breathed with my dad, midwifing him into his next step, I realized that it was not just him opening to letting go of attachments and bringing in light, peace & ease, it was DadCarolEverything.  There was only this one beautiful moment of peace and alrightness.  No one healthy and helping, no one sick and in death's labor.  Just one thing. 

Some people call that one thing Love.  It can also be called Wonder.  Awe. 


3 comments:

  1. This is a very beautiful post, Carol. I wish him and you continued Peace and Awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, blessings on you and your father. You are doing great work with him and for yourself. I owe ya an email.... sooooon......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank, you, G.G.

    Thanks, Liz. Emails happen at exactly the right time!

    ReplyDelete