Sunday, June 27, 2010

Protecting Playful Piping Plovers


The Piping Plover is a threatened species. A part of Duxbury Beach is closed off in order to protect these birds.

Mr. Carol For Peace & I arrived on the beach yesterday morning and as we walked on the bay side, we saw a mom Plover and her three darling little babies, about three inches tall, running around on the sand. They had strayed away from their protected area - there's always a renegade in the bunch, isn't there? Mom P didn't like the fact that we were close to her babies, so she did her best to distract us. Out of respect for the family's privacy, we turned back.

Later, I, in my big, black hat, and Mr. CFP in his non-hat, stood with about 100 others at the beach as a part of the Hands Across the Sand world-wide gathering to make a statement regarding our need for clean energy.




We didn't change the world through this action, but it was a joy to take a moment to join together with people who care.

14 comments:

  1. Good for you! Great photo of you in your hat . . . from the front this time. Goodnight and I went to a beach on the other side of town where there was a gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I think you *did* change the world. Everybody who took part in the action came away a little bit different, don't you think?

    I loved the picture of the little Piping Plover. I'm glad there are people looking out for the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you contributing to the endangerment of the plover by taking their photos, and hence stealing their souls? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, G.G.,

    And I'm SO happy that you two participated! We all stood together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Thomas. The world does really change only as each individual changes.

    I have to confess. I didn't give credit to the photographer of the plover. I stole the photo off of the Internet somewhere that I don't remember. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry,

    The photo of the bird was taken by some anonymous soul-stealer, so I'm innocent.

    Photos really steal souls??? No wonder I've been feeling very different since that photo of me was taken...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Googled the photo soul stealing and came across this totally irrelevant piece ... which I read mainly because I love Hugh Laurie and am amazed that this man who portrayed a wimpish Englishman in Jeeves and Wooster also played the American "House"

    http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/laurie-fears-photos-steal-his-soul_1026853

    Sorry veered off on a complete tangent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to mention that I loved the photo of you in your black hat and imagined Mr CfP in his non hat as you stood with your Hands Across the Sand.

    Liked the alliteration in the blog post title too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow amazing photographs..it's quite interesting post loved it and you are doing very well. Love always
    Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just about to email you to ask how it went when I decided to check you blog. I'm delighted! Thanks for carrying me with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures. And by the way, that action did change the world because with people like that...there's always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dancing,

    Fun article! I hope Ms. Plover doesn't have the same superstition as Mr. Laurie! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sabi,

    Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nick,

    You were there - did you feel it???

    ReplyDelete