
The postcards need to get to D.C. by Monday. I drove to the nearest post office this morning - a small post office in a dinky town which is only one square mile in size. I like to go to that branch because I like small (singing the Cheers song, "Where everybody knows your name" as she types - and no, no one there really does know my name).
When I entered the lobby, I saw a line of about six people, with only one clerk working at the counters.
Hmmmm...
I stood in line for a very long time. I have never seen a postal customer take as long as that customer at the counter was taking. And it isn't even Christmas season! Soon, the natives started getting restless. People were complaining in loud voices. I overheard the clerk say something about the "system" being slow and that she wasn't being able to accept credit cards.
Well, poo.
I had no cash on me. Still I stood. Everything seemed so okay, even with these loud voices and the lack of hope that was falling down on me.
A woman who knows no strangers came in and started talking to, well, anyone around. I found out that it was her birthday yesterday and she turned 47. Yesterday, someone on the bus drew her a little birthday card on a little piece of paper. She pulled the "card" out of her purse and showed it to the woman in front of me. So proud, so touched. And announcing that she'll have to do that for someone else now - "paying it forward".
Her 47-year-old face was as light as a child's.
When it was my turn to go to the window, I told the clerk that I heard her say the computers weren't accepting credit cards right now, so I just wanted to ask if they would be able to meet my needs should I decide to come back once things were working again. Could they get the postcards to D.C. by Monday? Not tomorrow, but Monday?
Well, yes. For an exorbitant fee
-this 14 pound box, which contained hours of work by people from all walks of life
- this box full of the names of U.S. soldiers who served in Afghanistan and willingly put their lives on the line for their beliefs
- this box full of signatures of people who wish for peace for our world
- this box would be delivered to people in D.C. who will then take it to Nancy Pelosi.
(And no, I hold no hope that Nancy Pelosi will do anything regarding the wars because of receiving those postcards, but one does what one can, holding the ideal of peace, no matter what the circumstances. And sometimes, just standing peacefully in line, surrounded by angry customers, is all we can do to bring peace to the world.)
After telling me the stiff price of postage for this box that TRULY must have contained gold, then picking me up off of the floor, the clerk ran my credit card through the machine and it worked as smooth as a hot knife through butter. Oh happy Day!!!
And I am forwarding to you the wishes Ms. USPS gave me as I walked out the door (okay, I revised them somewhat):
Much grace and love to YOU during this time of year that is special in many traditions and paths.
Wow, that's a lot of postcards! I like going to stores where people know you, sometimes, too. There's a sub shop mom and I often go to because of the people that work there, it is kind of like stopping in to visit and say "Hi."
ReplyDeleteOur post office always has lines like the one you mentioned.
The whole standing in line thing reminded me a lot of hajj - I remember sitting in an airport for 12 hours waiting for a plane - that is just the way things always worked there during hajj - you just show up a day or so before you want to leave and eventually you'll get on a plane, but in the mean time don't expect to hear anything. And don't expect to sit in your assigned seat, either. It was a really neat experience, and it really does help teach not to get upset over stuff you can't do anything about - just be patient and relax! A lot of the trip was about that. :)
Otowi,
ReplyDeleteYes, 14 pounds of postcards!
Thanks for sharing a little of your experience traveling to hajj. What an exciting way to travel! Sometime, I would love to spend a few hours with you to hear more about your hajj experience.
wow ..
ReplyDeletei'm very impressed! i clicked on the link that went to an older post. what a worthwhile endeavor.
You did good, Carol. You also wrote a wonderful story. And, yes, we do whatever we can no matter how ineffective it may seem becuase 900 post cards are 900 candles in the darkness and others are also lighting candles and we hope the total will equal the brighness of the sun and will eventually push the darkness away.
ReplyDeleteYou are a true light and blessing to this world, dear Carol!
You say you hold no hope that Nancy Pelosi will do anything. (I'm afraid I do not know who she is ..) However, you do have hope and that shines through...
ReplyDeleteFoam,
ReplyDeleteIt was worthwhile in so many ways. I'm sure that I don't know most of the effects of the postcard campaign.
Thanks Nick.
ReplyDeleteI think the brightness of all the candles shining right now is pretty impressive. Thanks for sharing your light so that we can all keep this big light going.
Dancing,
ReplyDeletePelosi is Speaker of the House, 2nd in line after the vice president should something happen to the President. In 2006, she said that bringing an end to the Iraq War was her highest priority.
Still waiting...
Anyway, thank you for your words. You are right that I am filled with hope. I'm just not going to hold my breath waiting for the leadership of my country to bring about peace.
Ohh! I know who Nancy Pelosi is. I hope your effort makes some kind of impact. It remids me of the time I personally wrote to all the US Bishops . . . Yah. that worked, too. Okay, I hope you have better luck than I did.
ReplyDelete