(Crayola should name a crayon
"Colorado Blue" after these kinds
of skies),
Buddha, the dog, and I
went to Clear Creek
to do our walking
meditation
the slow kind of wandering
a 13-year-old dog
likes.
We passed no one.
I soon realized why
Path closed, due to downed
trees. Dangerous.

I forgot
about the winds
and hail,
three months ago,
that uprooted grandfather trees,
that splintered windows
and filled houses with inches
of white ice,
that shredded tomatoes and
zucchinis and sunflowers,

that defied all attempts to
control nature, bringing
down trees and their protective
beaver-resistant
fence-dresses

This was truly
ground zero
that late July night.
Today the chain saws
and shredders
moaned.
First the hail and winds,
then the machines,
until we forget that
there used to be
acres of trees here.

Amidst the piles of dead
tree parts
an artist put brush to
canvas,

creating a soft,
graceful ballet
of fall colors.
While I explored
the raw and
broken.
Such devastation. How soon we forget about that sort of thing until we come across the evidence.
ReplyDeleteIf one of the crayons is to be Colorado Blue then another must be Utah Red.
Wow! The devastation was worse than I pictured in my mind. There is so much power in nature that until I come face to face with it I forgot.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking me along on your Buddha walk. I miss the mountain trails I hiked, both in the Appalachians and in the Rockies. Your photos, even those of downed trees, bring back very fond memories.
Very poetic - beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe had an ice storm this past winter that took down so many of the old trees in the city that they were still collecting the last of the debris a few short weeks ago. Trees are always so beautiful to behold and seeing one come down is the closest we come to witnessing the death of a giant.
ReplyDeleteindigo incarnates
ReplyDeleteThat's some pretty hard-core devastation. Nature seems to always adapt afterward, however -- provided that mankind doesn't meddle too much.
Dancing,
ReplyDeleteYes! Utah Red. I have really been missing the desert lately. I feel warmer just thinking about it.
Nick,
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking a walk with me!
Thank you, Otowi.
ReplyDeleteRobert,
ReplyDeleteI do remember when you had that ice storm. Isn't it amazing how it takes only a few moments to tear things down, but it takes a really long time to clean up the damage?
You are right, Indigo. No tree lasts forever, no matter what the weather does. It all changes. Some day new trees will be standing where these old ones used to.
ReplyDelete