I was going to stay home and get some things done today. I wasn't going to get dressed. It was snowing outside and I didn't want to leave the warmth of my house.
Then I read a Contact Form submitted on my Carol For Peace blog. Here is the website of the man who contacted me: Marigold Fund, Afghanistan.
Looking at that site, feeling deep admiration for this man's work, I suddenly remembered that the video Rethink Afghanistan was showing at a church downtown today - as in one hour from that very moment. Not that watching a video will change the world, but suddenly, it seemed important. I got dressed, laid aside my introversion and shyness, and drove downtown.
If you haven't yet seen Rethink Afghanistan, I highly recommend it. I didn't know what to expect. I learned some things, was reminded of the futility of our military actions over there, and I witnessed the human cost of war. It wasn't an easy movie to watch, but it had me captivated.
To see a trailer and find out about a screening near you, click here.
For more trailers click here.
I truly think that, in order to live in peace on this planet, we need to care about the suffering of all of our brothers and sisters as much as our own. I would rather die early, having lived with benevolence toward all, than live long at the expense of another.
Interesting. You always here only one side of the story, if your lucky two...and there are always three.
ReplyDeleteCarol, your final paragraph really touched me. I agree with you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.
ReplyDeleteA & N,
ReplyDeleteYep! It seems like we are spoon-fed one side, leading us to think it is the only side, but we have to do a little work to hear a second or third.
Nick,
ReplyDeleteYou are my Southern brother...
Robert,
ReplyDeleteLet me know what you think.