Friday, February 20, 2009

If A Tree Falls In The Forest And No One is There

We have had MONSTER winds! The trees have been having nightmares. We have to hold on to heavy things or we'll blow to Kansas.

Today we did a little hike at our most usual place - looking for this year's owl nest. At two points along the way, trees were down across the path, thanks to the mighty winds. That is why I don't like hiking on windy days. You never know when a grandfatherly tree might kick the bucket right on top of you!

(Sorry for the poor quality. I took this with my cellphone and this is the best I could do.)

My closest call came a few years ago when I was hiking on a windy day and a pine fell across the path not long after a friend and I passed it.

Funny that I don't put too much thought into getting into an accident while driving, but I stress about a random tree hammering me into the earth. That seems a little backwards when I consider the statistics. And the fact that if I had a choice, I'd choose to be one with the earth over being intimate with a hunk of metal.

Oh, and we may have found a nest. The problem is that it is very, very high, so we can't see into it. We could tell that owls are either living there or using the nest as a vacation spot, because at the base of the tree, below the nest... well, there was some fascinating owl poop!

8 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to say "Hi!" I'm glad I was able to track you down to the new blog. I've been terrible about keeping up. But you know, school. It keeps a girl busy. I love the photo actually. I first thought you must have gotten a fish-eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary!!!

    I hope that school is going well. You are an inspiration for me!

    The photo is kind of neat, huh? I should have written that I meant to do it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fish eye lens? Well you did mention you'd gon fishing to a new watering hole.

    The trees you talked about remind me of the Australian River Red Gums known as Widowmakers which drop large boughs without warning (as if there's not enough dangerous stuff in Australia to worry about!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pic is really great! I love it.

    We worried about the trees during Hurricane Ike. Some came down in our neighborhood on the houses. they are huge, old, tall pines that sway in the wind and, on a normal day, I love to listen to the wind passing through them. But, during a hurricane... scary!

    I'm loving your new fishing hole. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dancing,

    C'mon over! The fishin's great!

    It's really not very nice of those trees to bomb unsuspecting people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amy!

    Yeah, there is a place somewhere between still and Yikes! where the wind can be very soothing.

    This fishin' hole feels like that place to me. The wind is always just right here... ;-) Thanks for helping to make it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's actually a market for owl castings. Schoolkids carefully pull them apart to see what the owls have been eating.

    I'm not sure about poop, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owl castings! Yeah, that's what it was! Mr. CarolForPeace called them plugs. I called them poop.

    Hmmmmm... I wonder how much they bring???

    ReplyDelete