Today I nearly froze my you-know-what off while standing in our Women in Black vigil. It felt like WINTER! I would have been more comfortable in my down coat! I even had on gloves for goodness sake!
The temperature was in the 50s (around 10 C), but there was a breeze and the air was full of the moisture that is now finally coming down. My body is used to dry air and temps in the 80s. This drastic drop was a shocker!
Anyway, as I stood, I played with being a tree. I think of trees often as I stand. Just standing silently as people and vehicles pass by, I feel like a tree. Winds blow on me, sun shines on me, people pass by and notice or don't notice. Today, though, I started wondering if trees know that people pass by. There is no way that I can answer that question. Do trees have any kind of consciousness? Can't answer that, either. Then I wondered what it would be like to be standing there with no consciousness of people coming or going, no preference for hot temps or a dry day. As a human, that sounds very boring, but trees do that for many years. They may not be conscious of that, but still...
Some of our vigilers, as they stand in silence for an hour, count cars that pass; some make up their grocery lists; some meditate.
I am a tree.
Personally, I prefer warm climate..I had some 'chilling' experiences while I was in UK..Brrr..Not good!
ReplyDeleteHmm..maybe the trees know everything.who can tell?
Well, it's been warm here as you know!
ReplyDeleteTrees? I would have you down as being a willow - slim and gently swaying. As you probably were with the salsa!
Novice,
ReplyDeleteI agree on both accounts - warmth is best and it's possible that trees know everything. Just because they can't tell us all they know doesn't mean it's not there!
Dancing,
ReplyDeleteAwwww... I think that I would like to be a willow. I don't think that's what you would have called me, though, if you would have seen me try to get my body to do what my brain thought it should as I tried the salsa!
Nice metaphor...and a way to keep your mind off your cold toes and ears!
ReplyDeleteHey Gary,
ReplyDeleteYeah, maybe I play "tree" in order to not be present to the fact that I'm cold! Oh well, I have fun. ;-)
"Just like a tree that's planted by the water. I shall not be moved."
ReplyDeleteRemember that hymn that was used by the Civil Rights movement?
I do! Thanks for reminding me. Yes, we vigilers are trees by the water that won't be moved. I will share this with my group (and if they take me away for my musings on being a tree... well, I'll miss you guys!)
ReplyDelete