Monday, June 1, 2009

Freedom Isn't Everything

The Letter From the Editor in this month's Ode Magazine is titled "Freedom isn't everything".

I really like that.

Jurriaan Kamp writes about Viktor Frankl and states that his philosophy was "Everyone is capable of finding meaning in life, even in adversity." He goes on to say that Frankl declared that "...freedom, though it must be cherished, can never stand alone. Individual freedom from oppression has no meaning unless it's linked to responsibility for our actions. Frankl observed that many people are frightened by responsibility and take refuge in freedom."

More from Kamp's letter:

In his plea for responsibility, Frankl suggested the Statue of Liberty on the East Coast be complemented by a Statue of Responsibility on the West Coast to serve as a visual reminder that freedom and responsibility go hand in hand. Alas, Frankl didn't live to see it - he died in 1997 at the age of 92 - but a location for this monument will be chosen this year by the Statue of Responsibility Foundation, which hopes to finish building next year. The statue is a powerful image of two hands grasping each other; one hand symbolized personal responsibility; the other, those for whom we feel responsible - society's outcasts, the environment, the world's poor, humanity as a whole.


Sounds like a nice idea to me.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I hope his dream comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Statue of Responsibility. I like the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas,

    I hope that, when it does come true, the MSM will report on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. San,

    Balance. A concept whose time has come...

    ReplyDelete