Friday, June 5, 2009

Emptiness into Emptiness



We put thirty spokes to make a wheel: But it is on the hole in the center that the use of the cart hinges. We make a vessel from a lump of clay; But it is the empty space within the vessel that makes it useful. We make doors and windows for a room; But it is the empty spaces that make the room livable. Thus, while existence has advantages, It is the emptiness that makes it useful.
- Lao Tzu



I was going to let this blog post be just a photo and a quote. But in the making of this post, I had a related experience:

I just now took the pitcher that you see above outside so that I could photograph it for this blog post. I have had this piece of pottery for a very, very long time and I have enjoyed it incredibly . As I came inside from photographing the pitcher, I felt a weak spot in the handle give, and before I had time to think, the whole thing dropped to the CERAMIC TILE FLOOR and broke into a gazillion pieces. Or at least into about 76 pieces.

I had a flash of "wah!", but within a second, I remembered the story about some wise teacher - I don't remember who - who would hold up a glass and say "I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it incredibly."

My pitcher is only a memory now. It was always already broken. Its emptiness is all that it is.

Wow! If I keep having these "letting go" experiences, I may at some point end up with nothing more to let go of. Let's see... what else can I find around here to photograph and break???

5 comments:

  1. May the memories of your pitcher be a great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A kind of reverse of "breaking the camera" situation.

    Carol, I love the photo of your vessel nestled in the greenery. The greenery will fade and the pot is already broken, but such a lovely arrangement.

    And such a destined moment it would seem. Thank you for sharing the moment and the brokenness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indigo Incarnates

    You always write such thought-provoking posts :)

    ReplyDelete