A Dam Story
For some reason, I love this story:
The Castlewood Dam was completed in 1890, using only the power of men, mules and horses. It began leaking immediately, but repairs and a good dose of denial kept things going until 1933 when, after two days of rain, the walls came tumbling down. Fortunately, the caretaker was aware of the crumbling structure and word spread fast enough to save all but two lives while 1.7 billion gallons of water rushed 40 miles into Denver.

1.7 billion gallons of water. Can you imagine the power???
You can read more about the ill-fated Castlewood Dam here.
Wildlife
What we didn't see: rattlesnakes and ticks. And I'm not complaining about that! Also, no bears, coyotes or mountain lions.
Some of the wildlife that we did see:

Crayfish! As a young kid in Kansas, we saw these all of the time.

Big, fat toad (and lots of cute, little baby toads)




What beauty! How ironic that i'm wearing my Dam shirt as i read your post. Different dam different day but you probably know which one i'm talking about - on 34 out of Estes Park. Hope you collect a bunch of buddies!
ReplyDeleteGramAnon (sounds like a support group) ;-)
Beautiful photos and thanks for taking us on the walk with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm off to read the Dam story now.
Dancing On Anon
GramAnon,
ReplyDeleteHi, My name is Carol and I'm a Gramaholic. I Admit that I visit GoodnightGram's blog every day that I can. :-)
You have a Colorado dam t-shirt??? It's interesting that I barely remember that flood. One in the same area that happened a few years earlier had a much bigger impact on me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thompson_River
Dancing on Anon,
ReplyDeleteI think that what I found fascinating about the dam story is the fact that 33 years before the dam broke, the Chief Engineer said that it would never give way during the lifetime of anyone "now living or in generations to come".
The dam had been leaking almost since day one and the man had the audacity to make such a bold statement. The remaining ruins are testament that we humans are very, well... human.
Carol: My Dam Shirt is from the Dam Store on the Big Thompson River. Goodnight and I stopped in there on our way down 34 from Estes Park in 2004. We had to go into the store to climb the tower to see the dam.
ReplyDeleteGramAnon ;-]
Oh, yeah! I forgot about that dam store! We used to drive past it a lot. bit I haven't gone that way for years. Believe it or not, I have passed that store many, many times and I don't remember ever going in.
ReplyDeleteI need an out of state visitor to come motivate me to do the tourist stuff. Hint hint...
Be careful what you wish for!
ReplyDeleteSecret Santa Gram
Beautiful Photographs...Always dream what you want in life.. you will for sure get it.
ReplyDeleteLove
Sunshine
Cool hike! We had never heard of that dam breaking, only the one gramanon mentioned. Good thing technology has improved.lol
ReplyDeleteThanks Sabi!
ReplyDeleteA & N,
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard of it, either. But then it was a little before my time - and a LOT before yours! :-)
True. Lol
ReplyDeleteAaaaaaaaaaaaah. The butterfly: symbol of ressurection. That's what I need at the moment.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the dam story. It's one of those tales that have me questioning the reality of human "progress."
No coyotes? No bears? No rattlesnakes? I wonder where those critters are?
I would LOVE to hike. Maybe--someday--with a bit of resurrection...
Nick,
ReplyDeleteOne of the rangers was telling us that at certain parts of the year, rattlers would migrate so that you would see a lot of them everywhere, including on the road. We told him that we hadn't seen any while hiking and asked when they all came out. He said that they were there as we spoke. He had seen one on the road on his way in that day. I think that I was wearing a "no rattler will mess with me" aura that day, so we were fine.
I'm planning on getting a video cam - it will be useful for my work with my teacher. I will take videos while hiking and with those, you can "hike" with me until you are able to do it on your own. :-)