Monday, July 19, 2010

I Bean Pickin' and Pickin'

It's a meditation.

Going deep into the jungle of green bean plants,

focusing one-pointedly as I search for long, plump beans ready to be plucked.

I get lost within the thick, green foliage and forget all time and place.


My hands walk within the dark netherworld of moist soil and dried-up discarded blossoms who have given their lives to birth a bean and then to become food for the earth.

I meet many Daddy Long Legs wandering through the leaves,

travelers on the same path as I but with different aims.

We each tend to our own business while nodding hello as we pass.

(I greet each Mr. Long Legs and I swear there is a return acknowledgment.)

Is it the freshness, our organic methods, or the fact that I had to travel

this wild, primal jungle to procure my food

that makes the taste of these sweet, crisp beans so orgasmic?



9 comments:

  1. I bean picking today too ... gorgeously tender runner beans... yum! We ate them with some broad beans with our Moroccan chicken for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dancing,

    Yum! If you have leftovers, I'll be right over!

    Do you have Daddy Long Legs in the U.K.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can reading a post about someone else's travels through a primale jubgle to procure her food have the same . . . . um . . . effect? :-) Sorry - loved your pst, but got an absoulte giggle fromm the - ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we have Daddy Longlegs here and I assume they look the same as yours? (I know that our robins are different to yours)

    ReplyDelete
  5. G.G.,

    Who would have known that the innocent green bean could give so much pleasure???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dancing,

    Well, looking at Wikipedia, I see that there are a few different critters who can be called Daddy Long Legs, so we may not have the same ones. Ours are the ones that look like the one shown in the top photo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

    Ooohhh... your robins are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O Lord! I just re-read my comment. I guess I can't type when I'm giggling so hard. Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. next time provide sound effects of the orgasmic pleasures of eating sweet crisp beans .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Foam,

    I'm happy to say that I have no means of doing that. You will have to rely on your imagination. ;-)

    ReplyDelete