Sunday, March 8, 2009

International Women's Day

Did you know that today is International Women's Day? It's not very well publicized, is it?

According to this article:

"The theme of this year's International Women's Day is 'women and men united to end violence against women and girls.'

"UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said this week one woman in five around the globe has been a victim of rape or attempted rape, and that in some countries one woman in three has been beaten or subjected to some kind of violent act."

I also read that only 1 in 4 members of governments and parliaments are women. We females are half of the population, but we are severely under-represented.

Today I am grateful for my strong sisters around the globe and for my brothers who have the strength to recognize that power is not in overpowering, but in working together in respect. I appreciate my Women in Black sisters who are committed to standing as witnesses for peace through all types of weather, who wave with a smile at people yelling profanities, and who are hard-headed (in a good sense) and soft-hearted.




(This is the song that Mr. Carol For Peace chose for me for our wedding. Do you think he got what he was looking for?)

4 comments:

  1. Every time I read something about violence against women.. and now hearing the constant news reports about Chris Brown and Rihanna, I always remember Sophia in "The Color Purple" saying "A girlchile just ain't safe in a house full of men."



    ~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chani,

    I wonder if it's always been that way and if it will always be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard-headed (in a nice way) .. yes I think you are.

    Aside: Cat Stevens ... sigh... those were the days ... as Yusuf Islam sadly refused entry to the USA in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dancing,

    Mr. Carol For Peace thinks that I'm hard-headed in a good way, but I have no idea what he's talking about. ;-)

    I triple love Cat Stevens. And Yusuf, too.

    ReplyDelete