I have stood in vigils for peace since the build-up to the war with Iraq in 2003. Nine years. I started a Women in Black vigil in my town over seven years ago. I figure that I stood for peace for at least 350 hours, just in that vigil alone. It has been a powerful and moving experience for me - in so many ways.
And today I quit.
I won't go into the details of my crazy decision-making ways. I will just say that, while on my most recent retreat, which you can read a little about here, it became very clear to me that I was done. I know that when I hear a voice inside telling me to do or not do something, it's very wise to pay attention.
It will be strange to have nothing scheduled in the middle of the day on Saturdays. But you know what they say about a vacuum...
I don't know what will replace my commitment to the Women in Black vigil. I'm thinking that it needs to be something very life-affirming. Something that speaks to our commonality as humans and gives us joy, no matter our politics, our religion, our nationality, or anything else.
I feel smiley inside just thinking about that!
I'm sure you'll still be fighting the good fight in one way or another. Good luck! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Thomas.
DeleteYou did good work and you will continue to do so in new ways!
ReplyDeleteDiana,
DeleteThanks. I wonder what will come up for me to do...
You did a wonderful job and you still stand for peace (without the standing)
ReplyDeleteHa! Dancing! Maybe I'll start a Bathing For Peace movement! You can find me in the bathtub! :-)
DeleteI've always had a tremendous amount of respect for your dedication towards standing for peace every Saturday. I thinking hiking with your future new dog and hubby would be something really great to do on your Saturdays..... or you could do sidewalk chalk art .. :)
ReplyDeleteFoam, yes, hiking again. Oh, how I miss it. I will do sidewalk chalk art on weekdays and hike with my sometime-to-be-awesome-dog on Saturdays. Sounds like a plan! Thanks!
DeleteI like that you have confidence to act when you hear that voice inside. GG
ReplyDeleteThanks, G.G. I think that's something you and I (and many others) share. It helped us tremendously in knowing when to get out of past relationships and it continues to serve us. I bow to that inner wisdom!
DeleteSometimes we all have to make the decision to step aside. I admire your courage and commitment to peace and I also know you to be an extremely compassionate person.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Amy
Thank you, Amy. I feel like I made the right decision on this, even though I miss standing on the corner with my friends. Maybe I'll be back there someday.
ReplyDelete