"He respects Owl, because you can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right." A. A. Milne
Our Tuesday visit to the Owl family.
(Don't worry, they'll be out of the nest and gone soon, and I'll be having to find something else to post about. I think that owls are way more interesting than anything that I have to say.)Our Tuesday visit to the Owl family.
On our way back, I saw what I thought was a white plastic bag caught in a tree. But then it moved and I pulled out my binoculars to find:
I spent some time this morning sitting on the front steps listening to the wrens chatter. They aren't as dramatic as owls and herons, but they're still fun to listen to.
ReplyDeleteThomas,
ReplyDeleteWrens are more fun to listen to than owls (except at night when they "who!" - other than that, they're silent) and herons.
Wonderful, Carol. I so hope that you can be around with your camera when the fledging owlets try out their wings and make their first flights.
ReplyDeleteNick,
ReplyDeleteThat would be awesome. I've never seen that before. They are usually here today, gone tomorrow - and I miss telling them goodbye. They should give notice when they're ready to head out into the world.
Carol, did you see the early 1990s documentary about the hawk family of Pale Male nesting on the ledge of an apartment building near Central Park in NYC? Folks watched the family from the park as the hawklets got feather, grew, practiced flapping their weeks, took their first practice flights, and eventually flew away from the nest.
ReplyDeleteIt was a grand film and the owlets reminds me of it so much that I have just Googled it: BBC article
Carol, I just found photos taken of Pale Male and his present consort yesterday: palemale.com
ReplyDeleteNick,
ReplyDeleteThe story is familiar, but I don't think that I've seen the documentary. I'll see if Netflix has it.
The photos at palemale.com are stunning! Thank you so much for giving me that link. I feel like I can fly when I see the hawk take off!