OK. I was spoiled. I didn't have to chop wood during my almost-heaven retreat. And I didn't have to carry water, either. But I did need to build an early morning fire a couple of days and I tried to live each moment with simplicity and "in-the-momentness".
Do you know how much space is in the day? I mean, really, do you KNOW how much space is in the day?
An example of my days on retreat:
Awaken
Bathroom stuff
Drink tea while watching the light take over the sky
Cook oatmeal
Eat
Sit and watch the light that took over the sky
Take a walk
Sit some more, read
Eat
Sit and read or think or pray or watch the wind - for a very long time
Nap
Sit - maybe listen to Ram Dass or Peter Fenner
Eat
Watch the sun color the western sky
Watch the big, dark, star-filled sky
Read or think or pray
More bathroom stuff (did you ever notice how much time is spent bathrooming?)
Go to bed and listen for coyotes
Sleep
The days were long and delicious.
The days ARE long and delicious.
Days are timeless when we live simply and we're present in each moment - when we put down the doing and relax into the being.
"Time is what keeps light from reaching us. There is no greater obstacle to God than time." - Meister Eckhart
It sounds like your time away did you a world of good. Welcome back!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Thomas.
ReplyDeleteIt did do me much good. I'm very lucky - and grateful!
"There is no greater obstacle to God than time." Such a profound truth, one which we all know in our bones, but fail to recognize. Thank you for the reminder, Carol.
ReplyDeleteWelcome home. You sound replenished.
Thank you, San. I AM replenished. And allowing myself to rest in timelessness.
ReplyDeleteYes, yes, yes! I completely agree with all you said here. It sounds like my days in general and it's exactly how it's supposed to be. :)
ReplyDeleteThat picture is stunning!
~*
Thanks, Chani!
ReplyDeleteIt must be wonderful to have your days spent as I spent mine on retreat. I agree that that is how it's supposed to be. I'm working to make my life simpler than it has been so my life more closely matches my retreat life.
Good for you for being there already!
Thank you, Carol, for the insight into your retreat. Delightful! I think that I could easily slide into such a lifestyle forever!
ReplyDeleteNick,
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think that you would really enjoy the lifestyle - as long as Alex would be willing to come along and be an inside cat, avoiding the hungry coyotes.