Monday, March 9, 2009

Birth

I have these little Angel cards in a bowl on my desk. I haven't looked at them for a long time, but recently, I've felt like picking one out of the bowl and sitting with it.

Today's card is "Birth", which is kind of fitting since two days ago was my daughter's 30th birthday and sometime this month (we don't know the exact day) is Ms. Kitty's 20th birthday.


Here was a star danced, and under that I was born.
William Shakespeare

My daughter - a little, bitty person with a big, big tree. ;-)


My daughter is a beautiful young woman who celebrated her 30th birthday at Disney World (that is so like her!). She is overly-responsible, but she has a charming, child-like quality that I hope lasts a long time. She is my first child. I knew her before she was born - through dreams and, well, just the knowing that a mother can have.

Today my daughter found out that a woman who is very special to her was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is not expected to live long. My young'un hasn't had to face such things in her life, yet. In fact, up until now, she has done whatever she could to avoid facing them. But I know that this time she will walk into the fire, bringing love with her. I'm very proud of her for that.



Ms. Kitty. Isn't she a cutie?

I just Googled to find a cat age conversion chart. The one I found only goes to 20, but I'm not telling Ms. Kitty that. According to the chart, Ms. Kitty is 96 years old. Next year, I'm figuring that she'll be 100 in human years. I'll have to write Prez Obama then, so that he can send her a congratulatory letter.

Ms. Kitty is doing pretty well for such an elder. She has recently lost her voice, so she walks up to me and mimes a "meow" when she wants to be picked up. She seems happy and she purrs whenever anyone pays any attention to her.

I hope that I age as gracefully as my cat.

And I also hope that my breath smells better. Whew! This kitty has breath that wilts the house plants!

11 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to your lovely daughter. I have now placed her and her dying friend in my daily prayers.

    Special birthday wishes to Miss Kitty! 20 or 100 years, she is a grand cat and a delightful companion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy burfday to Miss Kitty! And to Mz. Carol’s hoomin bean kitteh, too! OK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a double take when I first saw the picture of your daughter. My first thought was of Thumbelina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter ... a Piscean like mine ... but 2 years younger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Kitty, Beautiful Daughter, Beautiful Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind words and for your prayers, Nick!

    Yes, I'm blessed with a sweet kitty and a sweet daughter. How lucky is that???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alex! I will pass your messages on to the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thomas,

    :-) I'll have to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dancing,

    Thanks! Yep, she's very Pisces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Otowi,

    You are very sweet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tributes to your daughter and Ms. Kitty. I see your daughter is following in your tree-hugging footsteps. :-D

    Wishing her much courage in accompanying her friend on such a daunting journey...

    ReplyDelete