Friday, October 22, 2010

Gratitude For All The Hues

A few days ago, we went to a screening of Welcome to Shelbyville.  It's about a small town in Tennessee and its struggles to come to terms with change as Somalian refugees move in to create new lives.  It's fascinating to watch people come up against themselves, against their fears and hard-held beliefs of the way life should be.





We were part of an audience that included people of all races and nationalities, including people from Somalia.  It was beautiful to be together, looking at prejudice head-on.

The world is such a rich mosaic of peoples and colors and textures and opportunities.  Why would we want to rid it of any of the beauty it was made to have?


Speaking of a beautiful mosaics, here is what I get to see outside my door every fall.





Puts a smile on my face every day!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great movie. I feel blessed to see that rich mosaic each day at work. You have a great view from your window! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would make the experience of seeing that movie very rich to share it with that diverse group. I'm so sensitive to haw race affects everything--every law, interaction, etc. I'm not excluded. We're all tainted with racism. Just gotta keep dismantling it. Let's hear it for mosaics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G.G.,

    I think that this film would be a good one to show at all colleges and communities. It brings many things to light so that they can be acknowledged and, possibly changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B.E.,

    I love how aware you are of the racism that fills our lives, and I appreciate your commitment to pointing it out and holding it in the light so that any who care to look can see it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete