This month's interview in The Sun magazine is about Rites of Passage. The interviewee, Malidoma Some, is from the nation of Burkina Faso where he was raised with the tradition of initiations, a tradition that we in the West have forgotten.
He says, "Initiation means a rite of passage from one stage of life to another. The absence of formal initiation in the West is why young people create their own informal initiations, such as engaging in reckless and dangerous behavior."
I truly believe that I got lost as I entered womanhood. I had no direction, didn't know who I was and what gifts I had. Maybe a formal initiation into womanhood would have been successful in creating within me a sense of belonging and purpose. Maybe not. I will never know.
"Growing up female in America. What a liability! you grew up with your ears full of cosmetic ads, love songs, advice columns, whoreoscopes, Hollywood gossip, and moral dilemmas on the level of TV soap operas. What litanies the advertisers of the good life chanted at you! What curious catechisms!" - Erica Jong
"It seems that it is only the recent West that has deemed it unnecessary to 'initiate' young men. Otherwise, culture after culture felt that if the young man were not introduced to 'the mysteries,' he would not know what to do with his pain and would almost always abuse his power. It looks like they were right." - Richard Rohr.
I vividly remember reading the book Roots about 25 years ago. The first third of the book was set in Africa and described in beautiful, intricate detail the life of the young Kunta Kinte as he grew up within his tribal culture. I remember being so impressed with the rituals and experiences he went through to "become a man". None of that made it into the popular TV movie adaptation of the book. Too bad. I guess they figured we Americans wouldn't really get it. Meanwhile, as I went through high school in the late 70's, there were at least 8 to 10 kids who died in alcohol-related automobile accidents over the course of about a 5 year period in our small, upper middle class town of Duxbury. It got so bad that they featured us on Nightline in the early 80's. Where are our tribal elders?
ReplyDeleteVery good food for thought, Carol. And timely, too. Last week, when Goodnight and I went to the Mexican Merdado, we passed a store that had QuinceaƱera gowns in the window. Wow! They were beautiful! But it gave Goodnight and I a chance to talk about coming of age and the transistions. She's not there yet, but it won't be long. I'm not Hispanic, but I'm familiar with QuinceaƱera.
ReplyDeletei never ever read that book i think i have to read that book .. thanks for sharing post.
ReplyDeleteLove sunshine
I've thought about initiations for several years, ever since Parabola journal featured them. I have decided that the "mixing bowl" nature of the United States is primarily responsible for our having few initiations other than a driver's license and reaching the age of the legal alcohol consumption.
ReplyDelete