Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Who Would Have Known?

Who would have known that the destruction from the hail storm would be one of the best things that could happen to me?

Yesterday I went to a different type of health practitioner, a woman that I have heard about for years, for a gut problem that I have had my whole life. Yes, Larry, I have already exhausted mainstream medical wisdom on this. ;-) I was tested for food and yeast and bacteria and stuff, and we found that I was sensitive to a number of things. One group of foods that my body doesn't like is the nightshade family. As in tomatoes, peppers, eggplants.

Not all people agree that nightshades can cause problems, but many believe that they affect us adversely. Here's a little blip I found in a search on nightshades:

A particular group of substances in these foods, called alkaloids, can impact nerve-muscle function and digestive function in animals and humans, and may also be able to compromise joint function.

I LOVE tomatoes. I love them so much that I only eat them when they come out of my garden, because any tomato that has been picked somewhere else and sent here just is not the same animal. THOSE are NOT tomatoes, but only some very distant relatives. So, this time of year, I love to indulge in fresh tomatoes grown in my backyard and I freeze all extras for use in soups during the rest of the year.

This year, there are no backyard tomatoes, thank you hailstorm.


Thus, no temptation for me to eat those little buggers that I love but who don't love me.

Now isn't that just convenient???'

For me, anyway. (Sorry, Mr. Carol For Peace, that you get to go without tomatoes, also...)

8 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...Kat,

    I don't know if I was tested for that. I will check into it.

    I had a stomach ulcer in my early 20s. It cleared up with diet and meds (They didn't know that H-pylori was one cause of ulcers in those days.) My on-going problem has been in the colon, not the stomach or small intestine where H-pylori causes problems. Still, it's worth testing for. Thanks!

    It must have been amazing to be rid of your pain after 20 years!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother is having a stomach problem for over a year now and it has caused her to lose 40+ pounds. She has had lots of tests - upper GI, blood tests, etc., and so far they haven't figured out what it is. I know they checked something about vitamin D, something about bacteria in her stomach, looked for cancer, ulcers, so far we don't know what it is.

    I am glad they figured out what it is in your case - I think sometimes not knowing is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat,

    Oy. Ulcers hurt too bad to have to have them so long. I'm sorry. And I'm glad that they are a thing of the past.

    No, fortunately, I don't have Crohn's. (Thanking her lucky stars...) The issues are a long story, including, but not limited to, IBS. The current stuff seems to include little guys who have taken up residency in there. But I'm working to make an environment that isn't friendly to outside invaders.

    Nova Scotia has got to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Otowi,

    I hope they figure out what will help your mom. Forty pounds is a lot to lose and it's got to be hard to feel bad for so long. I will hold your mom in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE tomatoes but only now buy the teeny tiny vine ones - Vittorio I think they're called.

    What will Mr CfP do now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dancing,

    Mr. CFP says that he will have to enjoy other things from the food kingdom. He's like me - if they come from the store, they are less than ideal. But then again, he'll eat about anything. Mr. Stomach of Steel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the snell of fresh greenhouse tomatoes. I remember when I was small my uncle would bring me all the baby yellow tomatoes to eat. Sweet and delicious!:o)
    Hope you are well Carol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daffy,

    I love the smell, too! I just like to touch the plants and smell my hands afterward. How sweet of your uncle to bring you those little presents!

    Nice to see you, Daffy, I hope your summer has been nice.

    ReplyDelete