
A short while back, Mr. Carol For Peace signed up for some schmantzy thing that would initiate payment straight from our bank to our water company. Little did he know that our bank only paid one bill and never paid another. Not knowing all of this, I came home today to find a note on our door telling us that our water was turned off. When Mr. Carol For Peace went to the water company to make things right, they told him the charge for turning the water back on would be $50. He told them we were a "victim of coicumstance" (as Bugs would say) and they waived the charge.
And I wonder...
...if someone barely has the means to pay their water bill, and they happen to fall behind on their payments so their water is shut off, do they then have to give up eating in order to come up with the extra $50 needed to get their water turned back on?
It would seem that water would be a basic human right. In some countries this is true, but the U.S., along with Canada, China, and other nations have refused to recognize water as a human right.
In an age when man has forgotten his origins and is blind even to his most essential needs for survival, water along with other resources has become the victim of his indifference.
- Rachel Carson
- Rachel Carson
Most things are that way - late fees, overdraft fees, fees to turn phones, electricity, water back on, etc. People who are poor and miss payments, etc., end up paying much more for the same services because of all this. And a lot of them do not or cannot self-advocate so they just end up paying or doing without. Think about health care, the poor end up paying much more out of pocket when they have to go to the emergency room because they don't have a doctor or insurance, etc.
ReplyDeleteThere are numerous hadith about water as a human right - many of them say that providing a means for clean water is one of the only charities that continues to benefit you after your death.
http://masooma.blogspot.com/2009/07/wateraid-fundraising-campaign.html
I tried to comment but it wouldn't let me earlier so I've e-mailed you instead.
ReplyDeleteIndigo Incarnates
ReplyDeleteIn Baltimore, the government will steal your house if you get behind on your water bill. Yes, boys and girls, your house can be seized and auctioned for a couple hundred bucks. Nice.
Otowi,
ReplyDeleteYes, I was thinking about how there are so many ways that people who have very little money end up paying more for things than those who do have enough. How messed up is that???
I'm glad to know that Islam addresses water as a human right. Thanks for the info.
Hi Dancing,
ReplyDeleteI have read your email, but I haven't answered it yet. Thank you for writing. I want to take the time to investigate the links you gave me.
I believe you, Indigo. I couldn't have that job. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
ReplyDeleteI take it Flow affected you...it's pretty eye opening.
ReplyDeletePaul,
ReplyDeleteWe haven't watched it yet. If I'm already affected, should I not bother seeing it??? ;-)
Bummer. I never totally trust automatic payments. Since PNM, our power company, has overcharged us before, due to a mistake in reading the meter--the meter reader actually drives behind the house and reads it with binoculars, quickly--I'm skittish about such things. We don't pay a water bill, since we have a private well.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. Water is a basic human right. And don't get me started with health care...
San, I don't trust automatic payments, either. I guess it's mostly because I'm a control freak. I want a bill in my hand and I'll write a check with my hand. And I don't want anyone to have access to my $$ unless I can be hovering over the activities.
ReplyDeleteYeah, health care. Oy.