Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bubo virginianus

The great-horned owl species is called Bubo virginianus. Lovely, huh?

Other facts:
Wingspans are 36 - 60 inches. The female is 10% - 20% larger than the male.
The owl can take prey that is 2 - 3 times heavier than itself. It can swallow a small rabbit whole.

Mr. Carol For Peace got himself a new, fancy camera that can get closer photos than our other cameras. He took these this evening:


Dad



The Young'uns

What a difference 11 days can make! To see what they looked like just 11 days ago, click here.
It won't be too long - maybe a couple of weeks - before the babies will be out of the nest and not easy to find.

Unlike recent years, this year we've had to share this family with many other human visitors. This nest is located in a place where there is a fair amount of foot traffic, due to its proximity to a parking lot and a road. Once one person sits and looks at the owls with a big, honkin' lens, everyone else wants to see them, too. I generally like to keep nest locations a secret, since you never know the intentions of some people, but this year I have been enjoying how much pleasure people get from watching these beautiful creatures.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Great pics. I like the new camera. The owlets have grown so much, so fast!

    Thanks, Carol, for keeping us informed on my favorite owl family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh a new camera!!

    What wonderful pictures.

    (I am wondering whether an e-mail I sent you arrived?)

    Will those owls be there early June? I guess they will have flown their nest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't they, Nick? When I got there last night and looked up into the nest, I couldn't believe the BIG HEAD that was looking back at me! Holy jamoley! How do they grow so fast?

    Do you think that Mr. Carol For Peace will ever let me use his new toy???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dancing,

    Sorry to be so slow in answering you. My bad...

    The owls will be nowhere to be found in a couple of weeks. Not only will they be hanging out in a bigger area, but the trees will be all leafed out and it will be next to impossible to find any owls within the trees. :-( I've been thinking of you and wishing that you could be here in time to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, Carol. We had a couple of owls in our yard a few weeks ago. They were serenading us again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still jealous that you get them in your yard, San!

    ReplyDelete