Monday, February 23, 2009

Why Wait? Let's Celebrate Today!

On my other blog I once wrote about Terry Tempest Williams' latest book, Finding Beauty in a Broken World. I am a big fan of TTW's. I love her books and the work she does in the world. After I wrote about Finding Beauty in a Broken World, I was contacted by TTW's publisher who asked if I would like to speak with Terry for my blog. Would I??? But it never happened. I don't know why, other than the fact that I am not a big-shot blogger. The three people that read my blog would not create a huge spike in book sales for TTW. I don't think of TTW as an opportunist, but publishers must be in order to survive as publishers. I don't feel the least bit sad about the fact that I didn't get to talk with MY FAVORITE AUTHOR. Just being asked was quite the gift.

BUT guess who I am going to see at the Botanic Gardens this summer! MY FAVORITE AUTHOR! She can't avoid me THAT easily! The Gardens just came out with their speaker schedule and we have already bought the tickets for TTW! Yippppeeee!

Another thing that I am looking forward to this summer (Insha'allah):

I kept hearing that Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton were going to be doing a concert here on June 21st. Well... considering that I've never seen Eric Clapton and considering that June 21st is my birthday and considering that we saw Steve Winwood a couple of years ago and it was a great concert, I STRONGLY hinted that this concert experience was meant for me. But Mr. Carol For Peace thought the money would be better spent on a get-away. I didn't agree, but just decided to let it all go. When I went to bed Saturday night, a piece of paper poked itself out from under my pillow - a print-out of the seating at the concert venue with arrows pointing to OUR SEATS!

Oh! I feel like it's already my birthday! The gifts have already been received.

Gifts are fun, spending time with someone special is wonderful. And the thoughts behind those things are priceless.


12 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading the posts that will follow those experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah Steview Winwood ... Traffic ... what memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that should have read "Stevie" ... probably his name in the 60s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dancing,

    I have to look to see if I still have my Low Spark of High-heeled Boys record album. Did you own that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No didn't own that one - I see it was in 1971. I was more tuned into the 1967ish era with Paper Sun, Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, Hole in my Shoe. It seems that the Low Spark album was a top 10 American album but did not chart in the UK (info courtesy Wikipedia!) I also loved The Spencer Davis songs Gimme some Lovin' and Keep on Runnin'.

    Pity we won't be in Denver at the right time to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely be interested in hearing about your time with TTW. I'm not familiar with the book but will take a look at it. The title is intriguing.



    ~*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chani,

    Her book, Refuge, is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray! May the celebration continue every day of the years!

    Thanks for the video! Wish I were going with you. I just tag along vicariously. OK?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will take you in my pocket, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In your pocket is quite appropriate, Carol!

    At the moment the mystery book I’m reading is one of the Stella the Stargazer series that my friend Anne gave me. I say going with you in your pocket is appropriate because:

    Stella lives in Denver.

    Stella’s pet is a small Green Anole lizard named Fluffy, who goes everywhere with her, riding in her shirt pocket.

    Small world, ain’t it?

    ReplyDelete