A red-blond fox just walked across the street in front of my home. He walked onto my neighbor's driveway and stopped to look back for a moment, then went on to places only he knows. It was 12:30 in the afternoon, broad daylight. We don't normally see foxes in the middle of the day - they seem to like dawn, dusk, and the night better.
Tonight is a Rusty Z kind of night.
I have known my friend, Jim, since I was in 9th grade.
He was the guy that walked the halls of our high school while playing a finger piano, long before I knew what a finger piano was.
He was the friend who wrote a song about me when my knees were a source of constant pain: "Louise has a disease in her knees". Don't ask...
He and another friend came to my house one day when we were probably 16 years old. They asked me to come out and walk to the park with them. As we were walking, they pulled out a bag of green stuff and said that we were going to smoke it. I was the unblemished, naive girl who had only moved here from small town Kansas a few years before. Still, I have to say that my friends' over-acting was enough to cause suspicion in anyone, and I finally got the truth out of the young men: they were testing my reaction by tempting me with a bag of thyme or basil or some other herb of the non-getting-high-type.
Anyway, after that long introduction, I want to say that Jim now goes by the name of Rusty Z., and Rusty Z has a really funny hypno comedy act (much funnier than a bag of herbs) that I bet he can bring to your local comedy club or office party, if you ask nicely. (Okay, it might take a lot of moolah in order to get him to the U.K., but ya never know!)
Rusty Z will be doing his thing at a local comedy club tonight and Mr. CfP and I will be in the audience. I could use a good laugh about now...
I'll call him Tom.
We barely knew each other while still in school, but we "re-met" at our tenth high school reunion and became friends. After both of our marriages ended, we dated for a year or so. There was a lot of messiness in our relationship - I won't bore you with the details. Our friendship didn't survive our break-up and I have held some not-so-comfortable feelings around our relationship for over 16 years.
A few people from high school days will be in the audience at Rusty Z's act tonight - Tom will be one of those people. My first reaction when I saw his confirmation on my Facebook page was: I can always cancel our reservations. But some wiser part of me recognized this as an opportunity for healing (plus, if I canceled, I'd be embarrassed to tell Rusty and others the real reason why I canceled).
So I asked myself some good questions and I waited to find out what the answers might be. The worst part of the process was when I realized that the real reason I had icky feelings was because of my judgments about myself and how I handled the relationship. OUCH! Did NOT want to go there!
But I did it anyway.
And now I realize that all that happened ended up leading us to where we are today and today is GREAT! So, I look forward to seeing Tom. I feel a lot of warmth for all that he contributed to my life and who I am now.
Back to the fox.
We have a pile of "Medicine Cards", cards with different animals on them, and a book that describes the "medicine" that each animal can bring to us. I don't remember exactly how it works - maybe you're supposed to pull out a card and then read the "animal medicine" for that card.
Anyway, I like to look up the "medicine" for any animal that I happen upon in my day-to-day life.
According to this book, the fox has to do with being invisible, needing to step back and be the observer. And if you find that the card is upside down when you pull it out, that could be about the possibility that you have been too invisible.
I tend to be the invisible type and it would be easy to want to be an invisible observer tonight when Tom walks into the room. But instead, I am going pretend that the message that the sweet-looking, beautiful-coated fox intended me to have was: "It's safe to be seen. And forgiving. And grateful."
Just call me "Foxy Lady"! :-)
hey foxy lady ... :)
ReplyDeleteseeing foxes in daylight is really rare. i've only seen a couple of foxes in my life during the day. both times i considered myself blessed!
i have seen a hypnotic comedy act before while at a convention. maybe it was your friend? i can't remember. it was really funny although part of me had mixed feelings about it.
but then, the people who volunteered did so willingly .. :) .... i think ... :) i did laugh a lot and i hope you find joy in it.
ya know, i think you've come to the right mental attitude with your old beau. i hope he has too. it's always a 2 way street.
Great post ... interested to hear about the animal medicine cards ... where did they originate from?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Foxy Lady, am now in suspense to know how the evening went!
Foam,
ReplyDeleteMaybe you did see my friend's act! If the show ended with the participants doing the Butt Bongo Band, that was him!
Seeing my old beau was so "nothing" that I find it funny that I even felt the slightest anxiety over it. Ahhhh... the mind...
Don't ya just love it when you wonder "And what did I see in him???"
Dancing,
ReplyDeleteThe book was written by David Carson and Jamie Sams, both of Native American descent - or, as I learned from my parents' caregiver, they are both of NATIVE descent. They say that the animal "medicine" they refer to in their book "is anything that improves one's connection to the Great Mystery and to all life."
The evening was fun! My friend does a hilarious show. And my old boyfriend... there were absolutely no feelings left, neither good ones nor bad. What a relief!
Hi "Louise"!
ReplyDeleteGlad to read a post from you. Hope the comedy worked for you.
What do your medicine cards say about mice????? At least I saw it OUTSIDE . . . .
G.G.,
ReplyDeleteThe medicine of mouse is "scrutiny". One sentence in the description: "It's good medicine to pay attention to detail, but it is bad medicine to chew every little thing to pieces."
Guess I was being given a big-time message a few years ago when we had an infestation...
What about that skunk that Buddha met?
ReplyDeleteCarol: Good mouse medicine for all of us, I guess . . .
ReplyDeleteDancing,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you asked about skunk medicine! Since I never saw the skunk and I wasn't even around when the spraying happened, it never dawned on me to look it up. I'm finding it very interesting. Wish I could write the whole thing here.
It's basically about having a reputation that contains a great deal of power (as the skunk does with its reputation of a distinct, powerful behavior when it is bothered). "The carriage of your body relates to others what you believe about yourself. There is no need to bully, aggravate, torment, or overpower other beings when your sense of 'self' is intact. As with Skunk, the resonant field of energy permeates the body's energy, and is instantly recognized on an extrasensory level by others. ...Learn to assert, without ego, what you are. Respect follows."
Thanks for asking! This is fun!
G.G.,
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm sure that at one time or another (always?), each of these animal medicines offers good perspective.
Carol: Glad I came back. The skunk info was fun to read. Thanks to Dancing for asking! Let's see . . . . what about eagle medicine?
ReplyDeleteG.G.,
ReplyDeleteFrom the book:
"Eagle medicine is the power of the Great Spirit, the connection to the Divine. It is the ability to live in the realm of spirit, and yet remain connected and balanced within the realm of Earth."
"...Eagle is reminding you to take heart and gather your courage, for the universe is presenting you with an opportunity to soar above the mundane levels of your life."
Like with skunk, I could type so much more from the book, but hopefully you can get the gist from the above quotes.
Thanks for asking! I always feel so blessed when I get to see an eagle, don't you?
Carol, yes I do, too. That's what made me think of asking about the eagle. Actually the mouse medicine was worthy of note, even though I'm never thrilled to see one. I'm thinking I like your book.
ReplyDelete