Getting ready to go to the gym with Mr. CFP, the phone rang and I, perhaps mistakenly, answered it. Tearful voice on the other end of the line. Life is changing and no one has control. These are things that happen and even knowing these days will come, we find them hard to accept. I can do nothing. I can't change the circumstances, and it seems, I have no influence on another's determination to not accept what is.
I hung up the phone and rode to the gym, once again ruminating over the future, once again not being able to figure out a picture that can look anything but dark gray.
As soon as I was at the mat to stretch, my left foot felt on the verge of cramping up. It wasn't long until muscles contracted into painful, contorted ostrich toes. I don't really know what ostrich toes are like, but my foot looked as I imagine an ostrich foot would, all gnarly - plus pain.
Stoically, I rode the recumbent bike as fast as I could for 15 or 20 minutes - I can't even remember how long - before I gave up and started walking around, thinking that bodyweight pressure would at least give some relief. But noooooooo!
On the way home, the right foot, also started to cramp up. I guess it had felt left out of the drama. I hobbled into the house, ate a banana and took a potassium tablet. I ran a hot foot bath, which did nothing. I whined, gave up on the hot water and stood on a towel.
This is where it gets good...
Mr. CFP knelt before me like a knight in shining armor and almost kissed my feet. What he really did was, he used his hands to put pressure at the base of my toes. It was almost an ahhhhhh moment. But just almost. Then he told me to visualize roots going down into the earth. Having been a bodyworker, having received acupuncture for years, I've done this a gazillion times. This time, though, I put out all kinds of branches going this way and that. Instead of just seeing my roots going deep into the earth, I experienced them. I felt the cool, moist earth around them, I took in the nutrients that were bathing my roots.
And... I'm not kidding. The cramping and contortions stopped within a few minutes and I've lived happily ever after since then.
I could speculate on a lot here.
But I'm not going to.
I'm off to stand with my Women in Black vigil on this sunny, almost February day.
Good to know that you feel rooted once more...and that you have Mr CfP,
ReplyDeletexx
Thanks Dancing!
ReplyDeleteMr. CFP is a keeper.
xx
This is extremely well written, Carol. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI am thankful for your body work experience and the healing arts of Mr. CFP! That your feet have returned to being branches reaching into the earth rather than ostrich footsies is a true blessing.
Throughout my years in seminary, one of the primary ideas that was taught us over and over was our vulnerability as creatures. We are not in control, even though we often pretend/wish to be.
There is a prayer that speaks of "the frailty of our existence on earth." I have had people come to me and say that they had never before considered their personal frailty. I must confess that I was close to 40 years old before I accepted that I am in control of very little --- and, that I shall not live for ever.
Indigo Incarnates
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about dreading the phone. I'm always worried that I'm going to get the call that goes "Mom's dead. What are YOU going to do?" (That call could come, literally, at any time). Then there are the calls from a bill collector that I cannot yet pay (I'm down to just one bill collector, but it's still fills me with apprehension and shame).
Thanks, Nick!
ReplyDeleteI'm certainly fine with the fact that this is a temporary gig. I can't figure out any reasons for wanting to stick around forever.
Hey Indigo,
ReplyDeleteI guess we are always a phone call away from potentially big changes in our lives. It's just more apparent when one has a mom who is so sick or a dad who is almost 90... One step at a time.
What a nice Mr. CFP!
ReplyDeleteGG,
ReplyDeleteAin't he though???
Wow! That header pic sure brings back memories of the '60s!
ReplyDeleteThe 60s are alive and well, Nick! Took this photo just this past summer.
ReplyDelete:-)