Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ships That Don't Pass in the Night

Awhile ago, I wrote a little about a book I was reading by Terry Tempest Williams. I love TTW. I ingest her books as thought they were the first gulp of air after pushing off the bottom of the deep end of the pool. Because of my blog post, TTW's publisher, or someone like that (I forget now), contacted me to see if I would like to meet TTW and interview her for my blog. Not only yes, but hell yes! Well, that was the end of that. Never heard from her again. Maybe that email was just someone pretending to be associated with TTW in order to get me all excited.

A few months later, I read that Ms. Tempest was going to be speaking at the Denver Botanic Gardens this fall. We signed up immediately.

Finally, the time has neared. This Thursday is the day.


But wait! It is not to be! An email received last night stated that TTW has had to cancel due to something to do with her health. TTW will be replaced with someone else.

At first, I was thinking, "No! Terry or nobody. Forget it. I want my money back." But this woman who will be speaking sounds very interesting. I just might be enriched by listening to her. I'm looking forward to it. I do like surprises.

So, to Terry, wherever you are, however you are: May your ship travel safely, may the waters hold you like a mother's loving arms. Maybe someday, our ships will pass in the night. Or the day. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you

"The world is holy. We are holy. All life is holy. Daily prayers are delivered on the lips of breaking waves, the whisperings of grasses, the shimmering of leaves." - Terry Tempest Williams

5 comments:

  1. Sorry that you won't be able to see TTW at the Botanic Gardens and hope that her health problem isn't something serious (although having read about her and her family cancer problem on Wikipedia I am concerned that it might be)

    I shall be thinking of you there with the "new" woman and am sure you will benefit from this change of speaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray that Terry's health improves. I pray that you find her replacement beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancing,

    Yeah, thanks to our bomb testing, her family has had challenging times. Sad...

    I was mistaken about the date that we will get to hear the "new" woman. It will be NEXT Thursday. I will share any words of wisdom that I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nick. Stay tuned for the latest updates. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kat,

    At first I had some opinions having to do with my judgments about the violence our country continues to force upon other countries. Since then, I've decided that it's truly none of my business what the committee has decided. After all, they didn't ask my opinion when deciding who deserved the honor and they obviously wouldn't change anything because of me.

    So, after all of that, I guess my answer is that I hope that, with this honor, Obama is inspired to be a true man of negotiation and peace. I believe he has it in him.

    How about you? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete